Sign in to follow this  
couesfreak23

AFTER THE SHOT

Ok guys how do you take care of javelina after the kill. Is it the same process as any other animal such as deer, elk, ect. Also ive heard about a scent gland on there backs how do you remove it without contaminating meat. And Is there anymore glands besides the one on there back. Never hunted javelina going be my first time this week so any info appreciated. I wish someone would make a video and post on youtube on how they do it. The only one I do find is of some guy hacking off all four quarters.

Just gut it and skin it like you would a deer. Smells bad until you get the skin off then it smells super clean. Try your hardest not to rupture the stomach while gutting or shooting. Don't worry about the scent gland on the back too much. It comes off with the skin. Just get the skin off and meat cooled as soon as you can. I've done a bunch of them. Javelina meat is one of the most under rated meat in all of az. Good luck.

• Like 2

I skin them while hanging them from there hind legs. Then I take the front quarters then the backstrap a then the hind quarters. Then your done. No need to gut a javelina or any 4 legged critter.

• Like 4

After touching the hide,don't touch the meat until you've changed gloves or washed your hands first

Yup. And I also change knives.

• Like 2

Just gut it and skin it like you would a deer. Smells bad until you get the skin off then it smells super clean. Try your hardest not to rupture the stomach while gutting or shooting. Don't worry about the scent gland on the back too much. It comes off with the skin. Just get the skin off and meat cooled as soon as you can. I've done a bunch of them. Javelina meat is one of the most under rated meat in all of az. Good luck.

Gut it?! Don't know why anyone wouldn't go gutless on a pig. You aren't saving much meat by gutting it

• Like 1

Gut it?! Don't know why anyone wouldn't go gutless on a pig. You aren't saving much meat by gutting it

I prefer to butcher my meat in a clean area like my shop. I go gutless on deer and elk and even pigs if I'm far from the truck but if I'm close to the truck I prefer to take the javelina home whole and butcher it in my shop or garage. I'd rather not bring home a pile of pig guts so that's just the way I do it. The o.p. Can go gutless it doesn't really matter. The point I was trying to make is that there is no magic way to take care of a javelina. Just do it like you would a deer. Carrying a pig back to the truck is generally a pretty easy task so going "gutless" is not worth it to me when I can skin a hanging animal and then butcher, wash, and package meat all in the same process, and have a bunch of scraps for my dog so literally nothing goes to waste. I can assure you I'm not the only one that does it this way.

• Like 2