codyhuntsaz

Good place to start and what's it worth?

A friend of mine is selling a rifle and I thought it may be a good entry level long range gun for a beginner like me....it's a Remington 300 wsm BDL synthetic stock. Gunsmith work= floated and fluted barrel, barrel threaded and muzzle brake installed, fiberglass bedded action and lug, Timney trigger. I would also like to know what this gun is worth ballpark. Let me know, thanks guys!!

I have the same gun with the same work done to it and I love it. Shoots 850yrds all day long

I knw how much I've put into it but that's probably not what's it's worth.

It's been a great gun for me and my family

Factory button rifled barrel that was fluted after the fact? I guess if it shoots, you should be OK. I wouldn't flute a button rifled factory barrel myself.

What stock? Factory Tupperware plastic or Bell & Carlson or HS Precision fiberglass composite? Huge difference.

The cartridge choice, .300 WSM, is a great round for LR. Plenty of horsepower to push the 210/215 if it is a 1 in 10" twist. About the same expected velocity of the .300WM if you can seat them out a bit, but a short action makes that tough unless you don't mind a single shot.

Good trigger, I assume the 510/512?

Stainless or blued?

Round count?

Any additional items? Base, rings, ammo, reloading components? Scope?

Price is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it. You rarely get what you put into a gun when you resell it. I would think $350-700 for the rifle dependent on clarification of features and condition of rifle.

entry level long range rifle. Remington 700 long range. 25-06 or 7mm mag. 699 or less.

Initially that was the direction I was leaning. That or a savage lrh. My only issue with a Remington long range is the weight and recoil. I'd like it in 300 win mag. To cut weight I'd want to get the barrel and maybe even the bolt fluted. To combat recoil I'd want to get a muzzle brake installed. I figure I'd have to put in +/- $500. Now I'm at $1200ish. That's why I was wondering if I should start with the rifle in question and down the road replace the barrel and stock? I'm as green as can be at long range shooting/hunting so all opinions are welcome!

Factory button rifled barrel that was fluted after the fact? I guess if it shoots, you should be OK. I wouldn't flute a button rifled factory barrel myself.

What stock? Factory Tupperware plastic or Bell & Carlson or HS Precision fiberglass composite? Huge difference.

The cartridge choice, .300 WSM, is a great round for LR. Plenty of horsepower to push the 210/215 if it is a 1 in 10" twist. About the same expected velocity of the .300WM if you can seat them out a bit, but a short action makes that tough unless you don't mind a single shot.

Stainless or blued?

Round count?

Price is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it. You rarely get what you put into a gun when you resell it. I would think $350-700 for the rifle dependent on clarification of features and condition of rifle.

Yes it is the factory barrel.

Factory plastic stock that has been glass bedded.

It is a 510 or 512 but I'm not sure which.

Blued less than 300 rounds.

Rifle is in good shape..I'd say 8/10

He'd like to sell as a package with Leupold variX3 4.5-14 Boone and Crockett reticle. I would chose a different scope so I will try and purchase just the rifle. I'm not sure what kinda rings and bases, but I'd just as soon buy my own.

It won't take long until you decide to upgrade the scope, barrel, and stock. Then will want to get some machining done on the action and a brake added to the barrel. You will also start having thoughts about a magazine and bottom metal. After a bunch of time and money, you will have a heck of a good gun with everything redone except the trigger.

If you are looking to stay at the entry level, or if you are looking for a fun project, this could be a good gun for you. If you are looking to learn a little about LR while deciding what you really want, I would go a different direction...maybe I would buy the scope I want and mount it on a Savage LRH. They, read talk and shoot a lot to determine what you really want to build.

Stainless or blued?

Round count?

Yes it is the factory barrel.

Factory plastic stock that has been glass bedded.

It is a 510 or 512 but I'm not sure which.

Blued less than 300 rounds.

Rifle is in good shape..I'd say 8/10

He'd like to sell as a package with Leupold variX3 4.5-14 Boone and Crockett reticle. I would chose a different scope so I will try and purchase just the rifle. I'm not sure what kinda rings and bases, but I'd just as soon buy my own.

I would think a fair price for both parties would be in the $450-500 range.

Even though the stock has been bedded, you will still want to replace it sooner or later. The plastic is junk for a rifle you plan on using as an accurate LR rig.

Factory barrel, again, if it shoots well, shoot it until you can afford a new quality barrel. 300 rounds is not much if the shooter didn't cook them out at a fast rate of fire all the time. I would think you can get another 800-1200 with care. Then get one that is quite a bit heavier contour than a sporter if you truly want a dedicated LR rig. If you want to lighten it up a bit, order a fluted barrel from the factory. Add a brake to reduce felt recoil. A 13-16# rifle will usually help in LR shooting. But they suck to carry for miles on end up and down canyons. They are a purpose built set up.

Get quality base and rings. Mounting a scope with cheap rings does you no favors.

Glass: buy the absolute best you can. I would rather have a $500 rifle with a $1500 scope than the other way around. Hard to shoot accurately if your scope is fuzzy and won't track.

If you want to get into shooting long range and be half way decent then you need to practice.....especially if you intend to take game at distance. Practice means shooting and 300 wsm would be a little pricy. If you are ok with that then rock on....it sounds like a good starting point. Another option would be to start with a 308, 6.5 Creedmoor or even a 223 if you can find one with atleast an 8 twist barrel. These have good options for factory match ammo and will be easier on the wallet.

Also.....I would not flute a factory barrel. A heavier rifle is more forgiving when trying to reach out there. The weight savings from fluting is minimal and would hardly be noticeable when packing a rifle. The cost to benefit ratio isn't worth it in my opinion.

Initially that was the direction I was leaning. That or a savage lrh. My only issue with a Remington long range is the weight and recoil. I'd like it in 300 win mag. To cut weight I'd want to get the barrel and maybe even the bolt fluted. To combat recoil I'd want to get a muzzle brake installed. I figure I'd have to put in +/- $500. Now I'm at $1200ish. That's why I was wondering if I should start with the rifle in question and down the road replace the barrel and stock? I'm as green as can be at long range shooting/hunting so all opinions are welcome! CODY- you do not say if you reload. for coues a 25-06 or a 7mm rem ( with 140 loaded to 3100fps) plenty no need for a brake. for long range weight is an advantage. if weight is that much of a consideration, save and get a sendero.( guns last a long time) i read some where remington is going to make it in . 264 for 2016 too

I had a member on here contact me about a rifle he's selling in 6.5 x 284 NORMA. I know nothing about that round. Initially I had wanted an all around rifle. Coues, mule deer, antelope, elk ect. (Ect.) Being if I ever went on a moose hunt or something cool like that. Then I got to thinking....I've never once applied for rifle elk. I'm an archery guy. So I'd probably only go on a rifle elk hunt a couple times in my life. I guess my question is...if I went with this round would I end up regretting it if I did go on an elk or moose hunt. Would I end up having to use a bigger caliber?

• Like 1

It would be priced right at around $600 with the work that ha been completed. I have had mine pillar bedded, the front two inches of the bbl. glass bedded, muzzle brake, reduced trigger weight to 2#, Vortex HSLR 4.5-14x44MM scope. This I load 180 Accubonds and they are a hammer load. I have taken 18 African antelope, a mountain goat, many deer, elk and an Aoudad with this rem. 700, SPS, 300WSM. I love the Rem. Tupperware stock BTW. I free floated the bbl. myself. This rifle will shoot .750 with 66.0 gr. off IMR 4831, WLR primers, 180 Nosler accubonds. I have shot two Zebra thru and thru with this load. Have not had one animal complain about not being dead enuf! MTG

6.5-.284 Norma would be a slightly cheaper way to go vs. the .300WSM. I would rather shoot the 6.5 for LR target and deer size game and down. For elk, I think I would want the extra bullet weight myself, not that the 6.5 is not fully capable of cleanly taking elk with proper bullet construction and placement. Just personal preference.

• Like 1