Sign in to follow this  
Cell4soul

Replace Stock

I just picked up this Savage Model 10 Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and topped it with a Leupold 3x18-44 with lockable turret and Fire Dot reticle. I plan on using it for deer, antelope and target shooting. I am looking for opinions on whether or not a Bell and Carlson M40 Medalist stock would be much of an upgrade over the factory Accustock. I plan on glass bedding either one. I know that Manners or McMillan would be better than either of the above mentioned, but I don't want to spend $600 or more for a stock and don't want to wait months to get it.

So, stick with the factory Accustock or go with the Bell and Carlson?

post-13685-0-21992200-1457972489_thumb.jpgpost-13685-0-12114100-1457972519_thumb.jpg

How does it shoot now? If it's shooting well I would stay with what you have.

• Like 1

I picked it up last night, so haven't taken it to the range yet. Stocky's has the M40 Medalist in stock for $269 right now. Really considering going this route. The Bell and Carlson has full length aluminum bedding and will be stiffer, so it should be better than the Accustock.

I would shoot it first. Those accustocks are better than a lot of people think

• Like 1

Generally a new stock won't show much change, if any, in target accuracy. Where synthetic stocks can help is in adverse weather and temperature. The synthetic stocks supposedly wont warp as much as wood can with humidity and temp changes. As long as a wood stock is correctly bedded and floated, I've never had problems with one. Unless there is a style you really want,I'd shoot this one before I spent $ on a new one. In Az, we seldom have weather that's going to change zero because of the stock. Lark

Those aluminum bedding blocks need to be bedded, they are not true. Ask any gunsmith they will tell you the same thing. My bell and Carlson also had to be bedded. If the front of the rifle lifts up out of the stock when you loosen the front screw MORE MONEY. Keep the rear as is, (torqued down). Mine lifted an 1 inch out of the stock, a trip to the gunsmith and then it was right.

Thanks for the info all. Can't wait to shoot this gun, but won't have time until this weekend. I was thinking of trying to bed the action myself, but I have never done it and don't want to screw anything up. Is this something I should attempt on my own, or would I be best served to watch someone else do it first? I've watched videos on YouTube, but watching a video and seeing it in person are not the same. Again, thanks for all the input and advice.

Wow you lucky guy. I picked up the same rifle in 22-250 from Casey. It's the best shooting rifle I've had. I wouldn't mess with the stock in any way. Mine shoots like a dream with nothing more than throwing a scope on and sighting in.

If I could get this rifle from you I'd be a very happy man!

I ended up purchasing the Bell and Carlson stock so I guess I'll never know how it compared to the factory Accustock. The B&C had a perfect fit. I haven't bedded it yet, but did take the gun to the range today. These are all 5 shot groups using factory Winchester ammo. This gun is gonna put a hurtin' on deer and antelope in Wyoming this fall. Next I'm gonna purchase some Hornady 143 grain ELD-X and see how it groups. That should give me a good starting point for load development. I think if I can improve my shooting and find a good load, I should be able to get the gun to shoot 1/2 MOA. Not bad for an $800 gun with a $250 stock.

Not sure why, but the pictures are upside down.

post-13685-0-91169000-1458420524_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-66298600-1458420541_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-87417100-1458420561_thumb.jpg