Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

New to hunting these birds and have ??????'s

Loving the input guys, the waking up early we can do, I'll be watching some YouTube vids on calling, as for gear I should be good.

Drive around the roads just at dark the night before the hunt. Stop and use a box call a few times and listen for gobbles from roosted birds. mark the spot you hear them. Get up at 3:30 and make it to where you know the bird is on the roost. Hike in towards him but not very close. Sit the kid down under a tree and be quiet until just as it lightens up a bit. Make a few calls on the box or mouth call and listen for the gobble. Wait 10 minutes and do it again. If he sounds closer then have your son put the gun up on a rest and get ready to shoot. They can cover a mile in a very short time. When he shows do one or two quiet clucks and blow his brains out when he puffs up.

• Like 5

What are anybody's thoughts on the Cody Woodsman Turkey Call? What other calls would anybody recommend for a newbie? Ease of use, quality of sound and most bang for my buck.

There is a turkey calling seminar this coming Friday night at the Mesa Sportsmans Warehouse. Ammon from Little Creek Calls will be doing the seminar. If you are in the area, I highly recommend it.

What are anybody's thoughts on the Cody Woodsman Turkey Call? What other calls would anybody recommend for a newbie? Ease of use, quality of sound and most bang for my buck.

Little creek calls. Get a great handmade call with Arizona material and keep your money in the State as well.

I've got the call and I love mine. Great sounds.

I always loved turkey hunting This is how I got my kids into hunting. We had a blast doing it as well. Turkeys are very vocal and the kids love it

it keeps there attention on where it should be. Deer and elk hunting for the most part are not as vocal. I always took the kids up and scouted

the turkeys. We patterned them. On the night before the season we would march our but up where they had been roosting on our scouting

trips, And we would put them down for the night. That way we new exactly what tree they were in for the night. Opening morning We were right

there. Few calls and we had our bird. To funny my youngest sons first bird. I could not afford to buy him hunting clothes so he used my old

hunting clothes with suspenders. It was like he was swimming in them. Good memories.

post-10770-0-76690900-1459660592_thumb.jpg

There is a turkey calling seminar this coming Friday night at the Mesa Sportsmans Warehouse. Ammon from Little Creek Calls will be doing the seminar. If you are in the area, I highly recommend it.

Unfortunately won't be able to make it up there, I live in Tucson. Does Sportsman carry the Little Creek Calls? As much as I like living in Tucson, we don't have any really good hunting stores. I may have to order one.

I have made a lot of box calls out of exotic woods but the one I use is an old Lynch box call. They sound sweet and not too shrill. I would buy a box call and one or two diaphram calls and that should do you for life.