CatfishKev

Paleo Diet

I'm never sure of the intent of these diets. On the surface the seem to be a way to get in shape, live healthier, or just lose some excess weight but I always wonder if they are some folks substitute for good ole fashioned hard work.

If one couldn't eat tortillas, pizza, pasta, beer, or wheated bourbons I'm not sure i would have much to look forward too.

IMHO the key to success is balance! Like when you eat a whole pizza accidentally then you gotta pay the piper a bit extra in the gym or on the trail the next day. oops

I am a firm believer that your metabolism can be altered by your active lifestyle or lack of.

Absolutely .. If we had the time to actually do more " hard work" we wouldnt need all these dumb diets. Technology has come a long way and made it super comfortable for us to live. I'd have wash board abs if I had to cut my own wood every day.

• Like 1

I been on a diet since February and have lost close to 30lbs I'd say.. Some of it was lifestyle change ( no beers Mon. - Thurs ) but a lot of it was because I bought this book called " Wheat Belly " its basically a " no wheat diet"... It sucks because you miss out on burgers, pasta , and pizzas, but man it really works. My wife and I still eat carbs too we just dont eat flour or anything wheat based.. The book says corn tortillas are good and so is red wine..My neighbor turned me on to this diet, and like I said I been at it since Feb, and the main reason I did it was to be in better hunting shape plus I'm only 34 and should really take advantage of being healthy and young. Oh yeah now that I've lost the weight I will reward my self by cheating on the weekends, mostly beers but I will also have a sandwich or burger just try not to eat anything bad Mon.-Thursday.

wheat-belly.jpg

Curious, did you change any other habits other than diet and cutting back on the Booz?

My buddy owns a crossfit gym and just did a paleo nutrition seminar that my wife and I attended. It all seemed to make sense as far as the science behind it but it sure is hard to give up pizza and burgers. If I go back to visit PA, any diet is gonna go out the window to get some pizza and cheesesteaks. In the end though I do think I would I would make it my basis but add a few things that are not technically allowed. In any case if we cut out the processed foods were a step ahead either way.

• Like 1

Eat lease calories than you burn and you will lose weight no matter what you eat. Paleo diet is just a fad diet. Simply burn more calories than you consume and you will succeed.

• Like 5

Eat lease calories than you burn and you will lose weight no matter what you eat. Paleo diet is just a fad diet. Simply burn more calories than you consume and you will succeed.

Thats what I always thought. However According to the seminar that's not accurate. I'm not talking from experience because I'm just not a nutritionist and this could be wrong but, one of the talking points was this big Bertha chick on a Reservation in the 1930-40's. After being "moved" there there was a lack of game meat and sustainable farming land. They were subsidized something like 800 calorie per day rations in the form of wheat products like flour but they still managed to get fat. The whole point was that the diet would cause exponential spikes to their insulin levels causing the body to react defensively. Truthfully it's more than I understand about how the body works but it was really interesting. Either way if game meat is a big part of the diet, I'm down for it. And we could all stand to lose the junk food and add some veggies.

• Like 1

Why were they telling you about about an Indian from the 1930's? That's why crossfit and paleo get made fun of. That's not relevant. I'm talking from experience, years of cutting down to a real sub 10% bf. But it's whatever the person wants to do and can stick with.

I'm pretty sure the point was that you can still gain wait with minimal caloric intake if your eating foods not designed for your body.

I'm pretty sure the point was that you can still gain wait with minimal caloric intake if your eating foods not designed for your body.

lmfao ya im sure it was. It also makes no sense at all and I would encourage you to seek out someone more qualified to be giving nutritional advice in 2016

That being said, whatever floats your boat. You should look up "if it fits your macros" not paleo though if you want a diet you can stick to long term

Packed on a few lbs lately, the gun belt is "snug" so I've been making changes. Along with logging my intake, I've also switched to liquid lunches.

I commend your self assessment and efforts to make positive changes. That drink looks slam full of good stuff, but does the liquid lunch leave you hungry or fatigued after a long day?

No not more so then normal. I've actually felt great. I work nights, so ive also been trying to eat my dinner earlier, about 8-9ish. The down fall of that is I am a little hungry when I get home. I will typically have something like a picked before bed a d be good. I typically have 500-600 calorie breakfast, Lara bar, eggs, milk, coffee, etc, liquid shake, then a 500-700 calorie dinner. With small snacks mixed in, staying around 2100 calories for the day.

NO. I can live on nothing but caramel corn and protein shakes and lose weight or gain weight depending on how many calories of it I consume. I could do the same with pizza or burgers. Or I could do it with legumes, roots, and "clean" foods. At the most basic level, its not a matter of what but how much (calories).

• Like 1

I been on a diet since February and have lost close to 30lbs I'd say.. Some of it was lifestyle change ( no beers Mon. - Thurs ) but a lot of it was because I bought this book called " Wheat Belly " its basically a " no wheat diet"... It sucks because you miss out on burgers, pasta , and pizzas, but man it really works. My wife and I still eat carbs too we just dont eat flour or anything wheat based.. The book says corn tortillas are good and so is red wine..My neighbor turned me on to this diet, and like I said I been at it since Feb, and the main reason I did it was to be in better hunting shape plus I'm only 34 and should really take advantage of being healthy and young. Oh yeah now that I've lost the weight I will reward my self by cheating on the weekends, mostly beers but I will also have a sandwich or burger just try not to eat anything bad Mon.-Thursday.

wheat-belly.jpg

Curious, did you change any other habits other than diet and cutting back on the Booz?

My buddy owns a crossfit gym and just did a paleo nutrition seminar that my wife and I attended. It all seemed to make sense as far as the science behind it but it sure is hard to give up pizza and burgers. If I go back to visit PA, any diet is gonna go out the window to get some pizza and cheesesteaks. In the end though I do think I would I would make it my basis but add a few things that are not technically allowed. In any case if we cut out the processed foods were a step ahead either way.

Some what....I definitely lay off the deserts now and never ever drink soda or red bulls. I still eat red meat at least 2-3 times a week and still eat Mexican food ( corn tortillas only ) .. Once you lose the weight you can cheat a little now and then.. I'll have some beers on the weekend and a burger if I'm feeling it. I just keep it real simple and no wheat during the work week.. For instance on a Monday I will grill some chicken and eat it with a half avacado, tuesday night will be like salmon and a side salad...but on Friday when the wife and I want to drink a few we will just go to Native and order some hot wings and some beers.

Pretty much true you just might lack some of the more important vitamins you get from real natural foods like the paleo diet has. I actually read an article a couple years ago about a high school science teacher who did an experiment by eating the same MC Donald's meals for like a few months.. He actually lost weight because of his caloric intake being less than what it was when he was free to eat whatever he wanted from where ever.

Pretty much true you just might lack some of the more important vitamins you get from real natural foods like the paleo diet has. I actually read an article a couple years ago about a high school science teacher who did an experiment by eating the same MC Donald's meals for like a few months.. He actually lost weight because of his caloric intake being less than what it was when he was free to eat whatever he wanted from where ever.

then you take a multi vitamin if youre not getting your micronutrients. i didnt say anything about not eating vegetables either.

btw anyone reading this, you dont get extra credit for eating more vegetables than you need. you dont get extra healthy from eating a bunch fruit and vegetable. but you might poop a lot, which is nice.

i have cut numerous times while eating fast food nearly everyday. im certain beyond a shadow of a doubt i could eat mcdonalds everyday and get under 9% body fat.

• Like 1

then you take a multi vitamin if youre not getting your micronutrients. i didnt say anything about not eating vegetables either.

btw anyone reading this, you dont get extra credit for eating more vegetables than you need. you dont get extra healthy from eating a bunch fruit and vegetable. but you might poop a lot, which is nice.

i have cut numerous times while eating fast food nearly everyday. im certain beyond a shadow of a doubt i could eat mcdonalds everyday and get under 9% body fat.

All about that portion control!

Multvitamin FTW

Truth on the veggies... reminds me of when people say, "oh but *blank* is a healthy food so its okay to eat (as much of it as I want)" like this one I heard the other day about someone justifying the peach cobbler they were eating, "but fruit is healthy and there's oatmeal in it too, so its kind of healthy." I had to restrain myself for slapping them before educating them. I've got nothing against peach cobbler, but don't be a dumb sh** and consider the fact that its a pile of carbs and fat and the amount of calories it is and how it fits into your overall for the day.

• Like 1

Multvitamin FTW

Truth on the veggies... reminds me of when people say, "oh but *blank* is a healthy food so its okay to eat (as much of it as I want)" like this one I heard the other day about someone justifying the peach cobbler they were eating, "but fruit is healthy and there's oatmeal in it too, so its kind of healthy." I had to restrain myself for slapping them before educating them. I've got nothing against peach cobbler, but don't be a dumb sh** and consider the fact that its a pile of carbs and fat and the amount of calories it is and how it fits into your overall for the day.

I hate when Vegans try and justify their lameness by saying " do you know where your meat comes from ? That animal lays its own waste and you're eating it" I'm like " dude those organic veggies are grown with compost and manure , you know manure is cow chit right? "

• Like 1