Sign in to follow this  
backcountry_brad

Eagles on the Salt

Guest 300ultramag.

There's been one there for a while. There's a nest not to far off the waters edge. Pretty sure they eat the javelina like chicken nuggets!

• Like 1

They are around, see them from Rosey, Canyon and Saguaro. You may see more Golden Eagles, all brown. Learned that Bald Eagles are not true eagles unlike the Golden Eagle that is in the genius Aquila where as the Bald or Sea Eagle is a genius of Haliaeetus.

It's been a few years but I would see them at PhonD while fishing. Got within 20 yards of one while in a tree. It was awesome. There was also a nest on the Verde as you drove over it going North on Beeline.

Always an awesome site ... the eagle population and ranges have been growing well ... they can be seen at pretty much all over the northern half of state now days even seen one around the Elliot and Elsworth area in Mesa about a month ago ....

There is a pair that nest not too far from Bass Pro and I frequently see them flying near Tempe Town Lake. The easiest ones to see though are the pair that are at Woods Canyon Lake. They are always there flying around and stealing fish from the Ospreys.

• Like 1

Always an awesome site ... the eagle population and ranges have been growing well ... they can be seen at pretty much all over the northern half of state now days even seen one around the Elliot and Elsworth area in Mesa about a month ago ....

As a family we have spent many hours driving the roads and hiking the hills of the White Mountains and I believe this to be true. I don't remember as a kid seeing them nearly as much as we do now.

Places we have seen them multiple times.

Buffalo Crossing and up the Black river.

Lots of times on the Reservation between McNary and Greer turn off.

Reservation Lake

Three forks of the Black River.

Luna Lake

Nelson Lake

Twenty years ago there was a nesting area right there at Lake Mary by Flagstaff.

And then just two weeks ago right in the middle of the day I went to visit my wife at her school and all the kids were outside looking up at the sky......two eagles in a circling pattern up above right here in Snowflake!!!!

Really fun to see them.......awesome picture!!!

A couple years ago we seen a Big Male teaching and helping 3 young ( could not have been flying very long) catch and feed on fish... The young were feeding a large carp on a stump at the back of Salome at Roosevelt, when 4 of 5 buzzards tactically lured them and daddy away from their catch while the 5th flew in the back door and stole their breakfast... This Left The Male very upset , at which time he decided to take it out on the mud nests and I believe Swallows that line the dirt cliffs... he bombarded about a half dozen nests feeding on the young birds inside. 15 years ago it seemed like you would only see a couple of the few pair nesting up in the Tonto end of the lake ... The last couple years we see them all over the lake from tonto to Salt... and seeing them is always an awe inspiring moment.

Been a While but use to always fish under a pair at Horseshoe Cienega who had their nest in the tall dead pine right close to shore on the North East shore across from the boat launch... Been a few years but I am betting they are still hanging around.

• Like 1

A couple years ago we seen a Big Male teaching and helping 3 young ( could not have been flying very long) catch and feed on fish... The young were feeding a large carp on a stump at the back of Salome at Roosevelt, when 4 of 5 buzzards tactically lured them and daddy away from their catch while the 5th flew in the back door and stole their breakfast... This Left The Male very upset , at which time he decided to take it out on the mud nests and I believe Swallows that line the dirt cliffs... he bombarded about a half dozen nests feeding on the young birds inside. 15 years ago it seemed like you would only see a couple of the few pair nesting up in the Tonto end of the lake ... The last couple years we see them all over the lake from tonto to Salt... and seeing them is always an awe inspiring moment.

Been a While but use to always fish under a pair at Horseshoe Cienega who had their nest in the tall dead pine right close to shore on the North East shore across from the boat launch... Been a few years but I am betting they are still hanging around.

That is cool...always fun to watch the predator animals and they way they operate.....I forgot about Roosevelt we definitely have seen them there as well.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought a bald eagle would bother with swallow babies! Neat sighting.

I see the freedom birds all over the north end of Lake Pleasant, from Castle Creek to the Agua Fria.

Was riding my pony up Castle Creek several Memorial Days ago when I got this one to strike a pose.

post-11051-0-64173600-1461181107_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ah....how could I have forgotten.....Kodiak, Alaska......big birds everywhere up there in a beautiful setting as well!!!

Yup, they were thicker than seagulls at Dutch. At the end of the fishing season, all hands were on deck removing any morsels from the fishing nets so the eagles wouldn't chew thru the netting.
  • Like 1