Bucks_N_Yotes

Does anyone us a 22-250 for Coues

I have alot of rifles, all most all are for varmits from .204 to 22-250, and I am thinking about using the 22-250 on my 6A whitetail hunt this Oct. Is it going to do the job, or should I go buy another for the arsonal?

With precise shot placement, a 22-250 will get the job done. If you MUST shoot a 22-250, look at a 53 grain TSX, or a 60 Partition.

I have a Kimber 22-250 and LOVE IT!! i can print tiny holes with it, but I would NEVER carry it for coues! go get a 243, 270, or 30-06 and not worry about it!

With one of the more high power guns, you have a little more room for error. shoot a 140 accubond from the 270 and call it good!

I have personally seen several mule deer killed (5 or 6) with 22-250's, my mother use hunt with one and on occasions, my father would use the same rifle. All deer where one shot kills.

If I were you I get a 25-06 and never look back....It is a perfect coues and coyote killin round ;)

22-250 is plenty for Coues deer. I know a guy that has killed deer with a 22mag. People are way over gunned here in the states. My brother-in-law is from New Zealand and they use .223's on Red Deer and.... they laugh their butts off when americans show up with .338's for Tahr and Reds. Its ALLL about shot placement.

If you can't shoot for sh!t, get a bigger gun!

Donnie

Yes a 22-250 is plenty of gun for coues. I have seen 5 mule deer, and 2 coues shot with it, and they were all one shot kills.

I know a guy who lost a great buck with a 22-250. Shot placement is soooo critical when shooting those smaller calibers. He is a good shot and dropped it in its tracks, but it made its way back to its feet never to be seen again.

YEP!!! exactly! why risk it with a minimum caliber when there are such affordable rifles in much better suited calibers out there?

. My brother-in-law is from New Zealand and they use .223's on Red Deer and.... they laugh their butts off when americans show up with .338's for Tahr and Reds.

Donnie

That is very interesting. I've never heard that before. I'll take that into consideration when buying my son's first rifle.

AC, my little brother is 11 years old and he is a small guy for his age! I bought him a .243 for xmas. my dad and i both have 22-250s andhe will practice with those for a while. he has beenshooting 22's for a while an dhe knows how to shoot. he has shot his 243 and he likes it alot.

My wife had her first coues tag last year so I took her out shooting, all I had was

7mm mag she couldnt handle the re-coil, I had always wanted a 22-250 so I had one

custome built. She started shooting the rifle and became very comfortable with the gun,

it was then that we decided to use it for the hunt. I must say I was a little concerned

about it at first but I believe it's all about shot placement. She was able to connect at

250 yards and the deer never took a step. If you decide to use your 22-250 try to keep

your shots reasonable (250 - 300 yards) if you dont think that will be possible you may

want to look at a larger caliber.

The important thing is this. No matter if you use a .300wsm for coues or a .223 for reds in N.Z. you gotta be good with what you shoot. No matter what you carry out to the field, you're doing the game an injustice if you can't hit what you're aiming at. SOOOO many guys pull out their guns on the way out to camp and plink 3 rounds at a pie plate at 100 yds, hit the middle once and say "good ol' .06 still has it". Be honest with yourself, if you can shoot a 22-250 and hit what you want... use it. If you can't, go with somthing like a .270 or better yet get yourself a 7mm rem mag and load it with 139 grain btsp's from Hornaday. Talk about a killing machine. I would use that load on anything in Arizona short of a Bison.

Donnie

. My brother-in-law is from New Zealand and they use .223's on Red Deer and.... they laugh their butts off when americans show up with .338's for Tahr and Reds.

Donnie

That is very interesting. I've never heard that before. I'll take that into consideration when buying my son's first rifle.

Theres a movie out called the "Chopper Wars". Its all about the professional meat hunters in New Zealand back in the 60's and 70's. They started with old .303's left over from the war. Then they ALL migrated to .223's, either Bushmasters or M16's. These guys would shoot 100 Reds a day hanging out the sides of helocopters, ALL neck shots. Its an amazing story actually. Just goes to prove that a smaller caliber in the right hands can do just about anything.

Donnie

I can honestly say that a 22-250 is pleanty of gun for Coues.....We have harvested quite a few critters with mine.... I love it for antelope.... and I even know people who have harvested cow elk with them. But consider this..... the 22-250 is very apt to be affected by the wind, as are many of your smaller calibers. For 250-300 yards with little or no wind we have had Great success with mine, it is a tack driver, but the last Coues hunt I took mine on (2001), I missed a buck 4 times at 420 yds. :blink: :o :( Aparently there was wind in the canyon between us, moving my bullets a long way.... because I was hitting nowhere near him. He never ran and had no idea where I was or that I was even shooting at him.... I gave up and went home. :rolleyes: The next day I took out the 300 Wby and smoked a buck at 400 yds and we have been using .30 cals. for most of our hunting ever since. I think you will be fine but you will need to pass on some shot opps from time to time. Good Luck.

CnS

Theres a movie out called the "Chopper Wars". Its all about the professional meat hunters in New Zealand back in the 60's and 70's. They started with old .303's left over from the war. Then they ALL migrated to .223's, either Bushmasters or M16's. These guys would shoot 100 Reds a day hanging out the sides of helocopters, ALL neck shots. Its an amazing story actually. Just goes to prove that a smaller caliber in the right hands can do just about anything.

Donnie

. -TONY