Bucks_N_Yotes

Does anyone us a 22-250 for Coues

Hadn't seen that clip yet Tony... pretty cool huh??? Thanx! I'm not sure you can get the chopper wars movie here, the way I saw it was my brother-in-law brought a copy over from N.Z. Thanx again Tony.

Donnie

Hadn't seen that clip yet Tony... pretty cool huh??? Thanx! I'm not sure you can get the chopper wars movie here, the way I saw it was my brother-in-law brought a copy over from N.Z. Thanx again Tony.

Donnie

Following the logical progression, I guess we should be recommending shotguns for Coues deer. :lol: -TONY

Crossman has got their pellet guns doing 1200 fps these days!

Really though, its such a tough call. We shouldn't always give in to the bigger is better argument but on the other hand, are we as hunters as good with our tools as we used to be? My great-grandfather never used anything bigger than a .243 and killed anything you could hunt in Arizona except sheep and bison. Then you hear stories like one I have from a Wyoming trip: I put 4 good shots on an antelope with a 30-06 3 years ago and the little booger still ended up going a total of 300 yds. Its such a toss up. I guess for the animals sake its better to be over-gunned than under-gunned.

BTW Tony, I have read your book nearly all the way through 4 times now. Great info man. I read alot of books and most of them read like a PBS transcript, yours on the other hand is very entertaining.

Donnie

Donnie,

There are three major components to killing big-game.

1. Shot Placement

2. Shot Placement

3. Shot Placement

Glad you've enjoyed the book. I tried to write it in a somewhat casual and easily readable manner yet still provide some solid information. -TONY

Donnie

Pasted below is a message I had posted on MM when a member there opined about the legality of it all. He didn't realize that clip was taken in NZ.

Hunting from a helicopter is ILLEGAL in all states,and there's also a FEDERAL law that prohibits it.

Need to read the blurb on that video -- the "kiwi-style hunting" part. It was shot in New Zealand, and it appears those are red deer.

Two points:

1. Shooting critters from helicopters is PERFECTLY legal there. Also, there is no limit on the amount of non-native animals one may kill with NO LICENSES or tags required.

2. The New Zealand government regularly shoots thousands of non-indigenous animals -- including red deer, tahr and chamois -- that way in an effort to protect native habitat and species. They also POISON them. -TONY

Tony,

I recall seeing some pics of you down there recently, is that correct?? You gotta meet my brother-in-law. This guy was a HARDCORE Tahr hunter. He used to hike up to where the Tahr were and hunt em' on foot. Freakin mountain goat this guy. Now that he lives here, he's had quite a time adjusting to the way we have to do it here. He's not used to passing deer simply because they don't have antlers, goes completely against his grain. He and I and another buddy drew 21 early WT tags this year and I think he may like hunting coues deer. We'll see.

Donnie

I have alot of rifles, all most all are for varmits from .204 to 22-250, and I am thinking about using the 22-250 on my 6A whitetail hunt this Oct. Is it going to do the job, or should I go buy another for the arsonal?

Sounds like a good reason to get that niche rifle.

I have taken many whitetail does in Texas with a 22-250 using a 55gr Sierra SPBT. However, these shots were inside 100 yards, from a bipod, and to the neck just below the head resulting in DRT. I had a friend that hit one in the shoulder with a 55 HP, and penetration was only and inch due to bullet blow-up. I witnessed Scottyboy's friend shoot a broadside coues at 399 yards with a 53gr TSX from a 223WSSM. It completely penetrated the chest and buck dropped in about 10 seconds.

If you use a 22-250, I'd suggest you try the 53gr TSX.

Doug~RR

That was a sweet shot, wasn't it Doug?? I can still see it now..

I took my coues with the same gun the day before and dropped my buck in his tracks from 275 yards.. I've taken a ton of deer and a few blackbuck antelope here in TX with a 22-250. also taken a couple of pronghorns with 22 cal rifles.. If you are comfortable with the gun, use it! They'll do the trick.

it will do but i personally cant see justifying shooting the smallest gun when you could get a 243 or a 270 and be good to go!

Donnie,

I am with you on this one.I shoot a 7mm mag with 139gr.btsp and have connected at 450yards in utah on mule deer and three coues my farthest being a 385 yard shot last year.I would use this same gun and round for elk bear sheep lope you name it ---This round gets it done!!!!!I love my 7MM--minchester model 70 rifleman style (Heavy)mounted with a leopould variax 2 in 3x9x40.My next gun will be the tikka t3 in 7MMMag.Guess I could try my bushmaster a3 with aimpoint sights(223)?

Donnie,

There are three major components to killing big-game.

1. Shot Placement

2. Shot Placement

3. Shot Placement

Glad you've enjoyed the book. I tried to write it in a somewhat casual and easily readable manner yet still provide some solid information. -TONY

How about retained energy???

Donnie,

I am with you on this one.I shoot a 7mm mag with 139gr.btsp and have connected at 450yards in utah on mule deer and three coues my farthest being a 385 yard shot last year.I would use this same gun and round for elk bear sheep lope you name it ---This round gets it done!!!!!I love my 7MM--minchester model 70 rifleman style (Heavy)mounted with a leopould variax 2 in 3x9x40.My next gun will be the tikka t3 in 7MMMag.Guess I could try my bushmaster a3 with aimpoint sights(223)?

I have the same model 70 only it has the boss system. Not the quietest rifle I own but talk about fine tuning a gun!!! I won't put anything but those 139's through it. No reason to. My Kiwi brother-in-law is a huge Tikka fan. I won't even say Tikka around him or I've got to hear all his freakin' stories. LOL

Donnie

Tony,

I recall seeing some pics of you down there recently, is that correct?? You gotta meet my brother-in-law. This guy was a HARDCORE Tahr hunter. He used to hike up to where the Tahr were and hunt em' on foot. Freakin mountain goat this guy. Now that he lives here, he's had quite a time adjusting to the way we have to do it here. He's not used to passing deer simply because they don't have antlers, goes completely against his grain. He and I and another buddy drew 21 early WT tags this year and I think he may like hunting coues deer. We'll see.

Donnie

Yup. There's a NZ thread and one on my Africa hunt in the OTHER BIG GAME section.

Consider: I've hunted in 39 states, 10 Canadian provinces, Africa, Mexico and NZ. Of all the hunts I've been, I would say the NZ hunt was the most enjoyable and fun experience. I wish I could have spent more time there, but my hunting partner had only so many days before he had to return. I would have liked to play tourist a bit more. -TONY