Sign in to follow this  
MidwestWT

.308 Factory Ammo

I would get some surplus non-corrosive military ammo since it is cheap and can be used to not only break the barrel in but also sight the scope in. After that it is a matter of trial and error as to which ammo shoots better and what you will hunt with it. Hornady makes very good ammo and has a wide variety of bullets to pick from.

I've shot Remington 150 gr, corelokt with 100% success with 165 gr as alternative for over 35 yrs.

I believe they have some premium /express out now.

as far as punching paper - only as accurate as the optics you use.

try a few brands your rifle might have a sweet tooth for something!-lol

lots to choose from these days !

Buy a carton of Nosler brass (50 ct.) from Midway or Natchez or MIdsouth and load 20 rounds with mild loads. Just prime, charge, seat the bullets and shoot. They come trimmed to length, chamfered and deburred.

My T3 shoots best with a 0.060" jump, but they all have a sweet spot. If you ever use Barnes bullets, I believe the standard recommendation is to seat duplicate loads at 0.030" and 0.070" and dial it in from there.

With new Nosler brass, you will still have 30 cases that need to be fired the first time to achieve best accuracy, and this can help you decide on a load. Nosler brass lasts a long time if you don't get carried away.

Tikkas are excellent rifles and worthy of good ammo.

forepaw

The Federal Premium loaded with 168gr Sierra Game King.

Plenty of good factory ammo out there. Black hills, hornady, fusion, all make very accurate and cheap 308 rds. I would go with 168 - 178 gn bullets. No reason to reload for 308.