Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Help With 2" Hitch Receiver

I just bought a 2016 3500 Chevy Z71 and have an adapter that slides in to my receiver making it a 2" receiver. It is extremely loose with amazing amount of play. My last truck was the same way. Is this common with Dodge and Fords as well? If so,what have you guys done to correct the problem? I thought about shimming it but thought I would get some of your ideas first. Why do they make such a big receiver that has to have an adapter? Thanks! :)

TJ

Haha.... I wrapped mine with a bunch of electrical tape.. It doesn't rattle any more. Had to beat it in with a hammer......and believe me, it is German now..(GOOWDENTITE). I am gonna have to pull the pin and leave it connected to the trailer to ever get it out tho...hopefully..

• Like 1

Same deal with my Ram 2500. The adapter sleeve is very loose fitting. Every bump, you can feel and hear the play. I remove the sleeve if I am not towing.

Father in laws Tundra rattles like crap without any adapter, just the two inch sleeve. He took it back to the dealer thinking it was the exhaust. Now he just turns down his hearing aids.

My 2012 Ford F250 2" reducer was the same. Had so much play it was bending hitch pins. So I converted everything over to 2 1/2" shanks and got rid of the reducer. No more rattling and no more bent hitch pins!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Greatly appreciated. :)

TJ

On my 2014 Ford F 350 it has a factory hitch that takes an insert .....you have to put the insert in the receiver , line it up with the hole for the pin then slide the 2 inch draw bar in and put the pin through it. Very tight !! If yours is like that you can buy the insert at Wal Mart, Auto Zone, U Haul etc. If that doesn't work go to a machine shop and have one made the right size or see about getting a bigger draw bar ??