Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Wendy's Trend

My first job was Gordo's Mexacateria in Tucson. $2.65 an hour. We did our job and didn't complain. I would work 2 or 3 jobs when I had to.

Our family went there a lot growing up on the east side, they had the giant candle.

In '77 I caught wind one of my buddies was quitting his job at Colossal Cave. I went the same afternoon and got his job but it would be Sept before I'd get my licence. That summer I road my bike 5-6 days a week from 22nd and Camino Seco to the cave, and then give tours all day before riding home in the dark down Old Spanish Trail. No wonder I was skinny.

• Like 1

My first job was Gordo's Mexacateria in Tucson. $2.65 an hour. We did our job and didn't complain. I would work 2 or 3 jobs when I had to.

Our family went there a lot growing up on the east side, they had the giant candle.

In '77 I caught wind one of my buddies was quitting his job at Colossal Cave. I went the same afternoon and got his job but it would be Sept before I'd get my licence. That summer I road my bike 5-6 days a week from 22nd and Camino Seco to the cave, and then give tours all day before riding home in the dark down Old Spanish Trail. No wonder I was skinny.

What High school did you go to? Santa Rita?

What High school did you go to? Santa Rita?
Sahuaro. My step brother went to Palo Verde before Sahuaro was built.

I went to Palo Verde in 77' and part of 76'. Moved out by Sabino, and graduated there in 80'.

My brother in law graduated from PV in '76. Sabino had a great soccer team, kicked our butts.
  • Like 1

I still remember a job at a clothing import store - early 70's - $2.00 hr

they had a big shipment come in - new styles - 10k order - we worked late to get it shipped right after unloading and transporting to store from the airport -- so the order could get out ASAP the next morning

we got a 10 cent an hr raise for our services !- lol

In my Economics 101 class at the UA way back in 1955, one of the first things we were taught was that the marketplace should set minimum wages, not the government, and that a government mandate provides only temporary benefits to entry-level workers because it is always inflationary.

History has proven the truth in that basic economic law:

The mandated minimum wage in 1955 was $0.75 per hour. It was raised to $1.00 hour in 1956, $1.15 hour in 1961, $1.25 hour in 1963, $1.40 in 1967, $1.60 in 1968, $2.00 in 1974, etc., etc., etc.

Each time minimum wage goes up, there is a ripple effect that reaches all the way to the highest pay scale. When a minimum wage earner gets $15 hour, his immediate supervisor who has been making $10 hour will demand to be paid more than the person he's supervising, and so will the foreman who has been making $15 hour and the regional manager who has been making $20 hour, etc. etc.

Higher labor costs inevitably result in higher costs of everything we consume, and as the cost of living rises, a new push for higher minimum wage always follows.

The real victims of minimum raise increases are those of us who are retired and/or on fixed incomes. We take a big hit when the money we spent a lifetime saving buys less.

Bill Quimby

• Like 4

The first Job that I recieved a pay check for was at Gordos(If you REALLY Love Mexican food) also...(Farm work was either my chores or cash for tossing hay...)

So you worked for Al Valenzuela also?

The first Job that I recieved a pay check for was at Gordos(If you REALLY Love Mexican food) also...(Farm work was either my chores or cash for tossing hay...)

Farm work is rewarding but tough and low pay.

Asked to work on my grandparents ranch in NM when I was 11 or 12. Visions of riding fence and herding doggies quickly vanished when I was handed a wire brush and told to clean the windmill tower and pump house. Worked on the ranch next several summers, mucking stalls, bucking hay and branding calves. Took home about $70 per. That came to around 30 cents an hour each season.

The real reason they want to raise it to $15 is to entice more people to cross the border. They want these poor people to put themselves in danger for no other reason than to further their own political agendas. They could couln't care less about their well being or their safety.