Hoss50

Hunting/skinning knife?

I am trying to figure out what I should do for a general hunting and skinning knife. I am really looking at the Benchmade saddle mountain skinner but I figure if I am going to pay that price would it be any better to try and find a more custom built knife from a small custom knife maker.

I want to make a good investment that I can use for many years and pass to my sons. All I have right now are some general purpose buck 119's that my dad gave me. They are ok, but they didn't make it all the way through skinning my cow elk last year before the needed to be touched up.

Any thoughts on what steel and what knives and makers I should look at?

Thanks

Harley

I absolute love my Charlie May. It was $250+, I think towards 300 but its the only knife (besides a havalon) I use/carry.

I only use knives of Alaska, there awesome, go to the knives of Alaska.com then go to the KOA store. There having a fathers day sale.

Which version Charlie May do you have? They look very nice.

One of the most reliable custom knives I have. Still can't beat a Havalon for utility. But, I don't consider a Havalon worthy of being passed down either. Might be interested in a trade if this catches your eye.post-14463-0-51365000-1466286260_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If you're really wanting an heirloom knife then I would suggest you look into Randall Knives. It's a once in a lifetime buy seriously. Their military/survival line is impressive. But I will never go hunting without my havalon knife and I have an outdoor edge swing blade as a backup. Good luck

That's a gorgeous knife.

Harley, I don't remember. Its nothing fancy, plain Jane but sharp and the perfect size. Ill post a picture in a day or two.

How big are your hands? I've got another custom that I don't use that if let go. Its smaller then I thought, but handy.

I'm 6'4" and 300lbs. I don't have monster hands but I have hands of someone my size. Xl-XXL gloves normally.

I think I am going to get a havalon also, but want something more jack of all trades to put in my pack. I had a couple decent ones awhile back but some a-hole broke into my truck and took a bunch of stuff including my nicer medium knife. It was a buck zipper with gut hook that I saved money for for a long time when I was about 15 and getting ready for my first elk hunt.

I have never owned anything better than Buck brand knives, and I want to change that.I am trying to obtain better gear all around and now it is time for a knife.

Bob Dozier Knives. D2 steel

The website says he is backlogged about 3 years to get a knife. I have about 5 months til I leave for my elk hunt.

With a backlog like that I am sure they are pretty sweet though.

Bob Dozier Knives. D2 steel

The website says he is backlogged about 3 years to get a knife. I have about 5 months til I leave for my elk hunt.

With a backlog like that I am sure they are pretty sweet though.

I own quite a few knives and there is nothing better than Dozier D2 steel. Good luck with the search