Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Kelvin Down Hoody vs Kifaru Lost Park Parka

I'm looking for a warm top layer for glassing/sitting/elk hunting. I'd prefer waterproof/resistant. Warmth and packability are the top priorities though. Currently I'm leaning towards the Kifaru, but I'm listening to opinions.

• Like 1

I have a kelvin down hoody for sale in the classified forum. Brand new tags attached. I have 2 of them ,so i'm selling the extra one i havent been using. The hoody is super warm when it's super cold. You literally dont have to wear anything underneath it. Very water resistant but not waterproof. Comes with a stuff sack also so it packs down to very little space in your backpack. Can't speak for the other jacket you mentioned, just the hoody.

It's all good bro. Just an fyi, the sitka hoody size is made to fit over other stuff. If you order an xxl in the hoody be prepared for it to be big on you, maybe really big. If you think your an xxl you might be an xl in the sitka hoody the way its sized.

I personally have the Kelvin Vest and can say it is very warm. I've worn it with the Traverse Hoodie and Jetstream jacket in 25mph winds when it was below 0 and felt very comfortable. Supposedly the Kifaru is extremely warm, but not very packable. From what I hear the Kelvin is pretty packable. I would say if warmth is the priority go Kifaru. If packability is the priority, go with the Sitka.

I saw it, just to small. I'm XXL, unfortunately.

XXL you say? I have this camo jacket and hoodie combo and I'll even throw int the gaiters for free!

post-14206-0-75353400-1467224081_thumb.png

I like my LPP. It doesn't compress all that great but it's ridiculously warm and wind proof. I really like the cordura on the sleeves and belly pouch for laying prone. I would let you try mine on but it's a large

Just bought a super down with the Memorial Day sale. It packs tiny into one of the pockets. I can tell its gonna be crazy warm. It's also extremely package and light.

It doesn't feel like it would be durable enough as an active hunting outer layer but that's not why I picked it up. My intent is a lightweight layer that doesn't take up pack space that I can put on when I get to a glassing spot and stow when I'm trucking along again. You'll def need a Xxl in the Kuiu!

Super down in your size on sale right now in the Kuiu outlet.

I'd also look at the uncompahgre puffy from first lite.

Superdown from Kuiu gets great reviews and is on sale as noted above. The Kifaru usually gets the nod for being the warmest, but it does not compress down as much as others.

• Like 1

The Superdome has reports of coming apart too easily not being very durable. Which in all lessons would probably be okay as I don't plan to walk much with his jacket on but I don't want it to fall apart and Shred if I do.

I love my kuiu super down jacket, warm, packable, and very lightweight. It is not durable, only wear it while glassing or include an outer layer over it. I wear a large shirt, got an XL jacket to make sure it would fit over layers and wouldn't want any smaller. If you wear a xxl shirt you should consider a 3xl jacket