RackTracker

OTC Colorado Elk

My father and I are planning a trip to Colorado on an over the counter elk tag. Our hunt is planned for September 3-11. We are wanting to hunt unit 75/751 with the idea of returning to this same area next year on an archery deer hunt (we have one preference point now). Our hunt will be a 5-7 day backpacking hunt. We need to park at an accessible trailhead as we are getting dropped off and picked up by another party. Through current research, one option is the Vallecito Trailhead. We would hike north along the trail and could hunt east or west in the Weminuche Wilderness Area. Some of the potential landmarks include the Taylor Creek, Sheep Draw, First Creek, Second Creek and Dead Horse Creek. Two other trailheads that we were looking into are the Endlich Mesa Trailhead and Lime Mesa Trailhead. We are looking for any advice in this area for a successful elk hunt.

Can we expect to see elk in this area?

Are there better trailheads or areas to focus on?

Is anyone else headed to Colorado this fall?

PM’s are appreciated from anyone with any experience or knowledge in this area of Colorado.

There are elk in both units, but be prepared for a difficult hunt(as are most all OTC hunts in CO). The two best pieces of advice I can give you is to go as early as you can, and hunt the steepest, nastiest, darkest timber you can find on a north or northeast facing slope. If you find any canyons that make you think you'll need climbing gear to get yourself down and a helicopter to get an elk out, hunt there too, cause that is likely where the elk will be. OTC Elk is CO is tough, but doable. I've only ever seen elk in the early seasons a handful of times anywhere near a road, and usually it was running(or swimming) from other humans. With the wilderness areas, there is a sweet spot if you are backpacking in. Most road hunters will go about 1/2 mile in, day hunters(or guys camped at the trailhead) will go 1/2-3 miles in, and outfitters/drop camps usually start at 5-8 miles back in, depending on the wilderness area, trailhead, terrain, etc. Backpacking into and hunting that 2-7 miles range from a TH tends to be the sweet spot. If you can find a series of drainages that have a few miles between them and trails, that would be were I would look(assuming they have dark timber on north facing slopes or in nasty canyons). Find a good spot to set up camp where you can cover lots of ground glassing. Be prepared for nasty weather at any time, especially if you get up high. Enjoy the amazing scenery, and most importantly, have fun.

• Like 3

Thank you for the reply. This is all very good information. We expect to get as far away from roads and trails as possible. It sounds like we are looking in the right area. Looking forward to a great adventure.

Don't go too far back in. Too many outfitters. I hunted an OTC unit 4 years ago and we got into bulls the last 4 days we were there. Where we found them was halfway down a mesa, smack dab between 3 roads, all between 3/4-1.5 miles away. But there was at least 1500' elevation change between the elk and the roads and it was some of the steepest, nastiest, thickest deadfall I've ever seen(once again, on a dark timbered, north facing slope). It was so thick, that when we walked down the spurs off the mesa, if you dropped off one side more than about 30 feet, you'd no longer to be able to hear the bull bugling in the draw on the opposite side of the spur. Walk back up and you could hear him just fine.

Keep in mind that for most of CO, unlike here in AZ, there is water and food pretty much everywhere. Wet summers they will be in the farm fields and dry summers they will be in the timber. And in CO, there are really only two things that really make the elk move: weather and hunting pressure. Snow will push them down the mountains and hot weather will push them to cooler northern slopes and deeper canyons. Hunting pressure pushes them to private land or terrain so inhospitable that no sane human would ever bother them. You find that, and you'll tag out.

Don't go too far back in. Too many outfitters. I hunted an OTC unit 4 years ago and we got into bulls the last 4 days we were there. Where we found them was halfway down a mesa, smack dab between 3 roads, all between 3/4-1.5 miles away. But there was at least 1500' elevation change between the elk and the roads and it was some of the steepest, nastiest, thickest deadfall I've ever seen(once again, on a dark timbered, north facing slope). It was so thick, that when we walked down the spurs off the mesa, if you dropped off one side more than about 30 feet, you'd no longer to be able to hear the bull bugling in the draw on the opposite side of the spur. Walk back up and you could hear him just fine.

Keep in mind that for most of CO, unlike here in AZ, there is water and food pretty much everywhere. Wet summers they will be in the farm fields and dry summers they will be in the timber. And in CO, there are really only two things that really make the elk move: weather and hunting pressure. Snow will push them down the mountains and hot weather will push them to cooler northern slopes and deeper canyons. Hunting pressure pushes them to private land or terrain so inhospitable that no sane human would ever bother them. You find that, and you'll tag out.

Be the "insane human" :)

• Like 1

I don't know much about that area. I hear it gets a lot of traffic from horseback and outfitters. It looks to be very big country. Also my concerns would be the ability to get away from the crowds as there are a high number of hunters all pinched in the northern pockets of these units. I've looked at these units, they do get a lot of press and number of animals in these areas seem to be good, success rates aren't terrible either. But the drawback to me was if you look at access, there are really only a couple or just a few roads that lead to these trailheads or really the northern end in general in these units. So ppl aren't spread out. Everyone basically is going into this area from same few trailheads as you. I know once u get in there there's room to roam but then u have to compete with all the horsebackers, outfitters, etc. but again I've never been there. I'm going OTC myself in CO somewhere but still trying to nail down a few areas to check out

Update: We purchased one elk tag and am currently waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Our packs are loaded and we are counting the days. Been hiking and working out almost daily. Lots of practice with the bow. Extended weather report looks good. We feel like we have a good plan. Can't wait for true adventure. We will keep you posted.

Update: We purchased one elk tag and am currently waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Our packs are loaded and we are counting the days. Been hiking and working out almost daily. Lots of practice with the bow. Extended weather report looks good. We feel like we have a good plan. Can't wait for true adventure. We will keep you posted.

Sweet!!! Good luck! I'm leaving next weekend for 8 days to chase elk in CO as well!!

Good luck guys.

Thanks!