rkv09

6.5 build question

I think the SAUM is more effecient in the short action and the longer neck is a plus. The only way the WSM would appeal to me is if I already had piles of WSM brass laying around and building on a long action.

With the OP's long action and low round count each year I would build a big fire breathing 6.5 and really scream those heavy pills.

• Like 2

Exactly. For intended uses (50 shots a year once load work is done), I'd go with the biggest, baddest round he could. 26 Nosler, 6.5stw, 6.5 Allen Mag or 6.5-300wby. If he wants to open his bolt face or get a new PTG bolt he can always go with a 6.5-338 Lapua. The OP may want to spend some time searching around on the LRH forums as there are tons of topics concerning these calibers over there. The Nosler and STW should be fairly close in speeds, with the wby 50-100 fps faster, the AM 200 fps faster and the Lapua 300-400 fps faster. He can get custom dies from Redding if he'd like, and brass to fireform for any of the calibers listed form multiple sources.

Don't get the recommendation for a fire breather intended for extra long range hunting and justifying it because of extended barrel life since the shooter only intends to shoots very, very little.

A cartridge with long range capability doesn't make up for a lack of practice. If you're gonna shoot long ranges proficiently, especially in a hunting situation, you gotta burn primers.

I just don't get the mindset.

I'd build a SAUM at the top end and run 130's at 3200. They don't lose hardly anything to the 140's until waaay out there, low recoil, good barrel life, etc. Win, win, win...

• Like 2

Why build when you can buy?

I'll sell you my full custom Remington 700 in .264 win mag that will throw a 130 grain Barnes tsx at 3470 fps.

Built by Karl Kampfeld

• Like 2

The reason why I posted this was because I was dead set on the 26 nolser but when I told the gunsmith about it, he said he has built a couple but had a difficult time finding a good load because of the casing and recommended going with the 264 win mag instead. I am just looking for advice on building a 6.5 and I got some great advice on calibers I hadn’t researched such as the 6.5 4s. I have and do look at other hunting forums for advice and reviews but since I only contribute to this forum, that’s where I ask my questions.

Hey Big, you're telling me that I can’t build a rifle, throw a nightforce on it, follow the velocity chart on the box of bullets and shoot a dink at 1372 yards? That’s not what they told me at Walmart! When I say I don’t plan on shooting this gun a lot it is because it will be my coues gun. I am not gonna use it for long range matches, elk hunting, hunting pet deer down here in texas or anything else. I do burn primers, sometimes with powder, sometimes in the living room but I am still in love my .270 and I use it more than anything. Who knows I might like this gun more, I am just stating I am not concerned about barrel life. I don’t really shoot long range anyway, my longest shot was about 450 and my last two coues were under 150 yards. I figure if I am going to build a 6.5 why not go all out, if I wanted barrel life, I would buy a creedmore.

Titanium thanks for the offer but I already have all the parts for the build, just need to drop it off at the gunsmith.

• Like 1