Tony there may be people asking for an interpretation of that.

Well then, here ya go. ;) -TONY

MY FIRST DEER HUNT

The sun was rising as I crawled up the hill. At the top, I looked across the canyon and spotted a deer standing alongside a tall saguaro.

Slowly, I rested my rifle on a limb of a palo verde tree and peeked through the scope. After three days of hunting, I finally had found my buck. He was standing broadside, providing a perfect shot at his lung area. I put the crosshairs behind his front leg, and a second later the 140-gr. bullet was on its way. It connected with an audible whap and a small puff of dust. If all went right, the bullet penetrated and exited the hide on the far side.

Almost immediately, the buck reacted to the hit by hunching his back. He then wobbled in place and fell where he stood on the hillside.

I had finally shot my first deer, and the many pounds of venison for the freezer would no doubt make my wife happy.

I walked across the canyon to the dead buck and tagged it. Then, with hat in hand, I gave thanks to God for giving me the chance to kill such a magnificent trophy.

Seems to me harvest is perfectly acceptable usage when referring to taking game. Since there is so much debate about it, I figured I would check the definition of the word when used as a verb.

From Webster's dictionary online:

Main Entry: 2harvest

Function: verb

transitive verb

1 a : to gather in (a crop) : REAP b : to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (as salmon, oysters, or deer) for human use, sport, or population control c : to remove or extract (as living cells, tissues, or organs) from culture or from a living or recently deceased body especially for transplanting

2 a : to accumulate a store of <has now harvested this new generation's scholarly labors -- M. J. Wiener> b : to win by achievement <the team harvested several awards>

And from the American Heritage Dictionary online:

harvest

v.tr.

To gather (a crop).

To take or kill (fish or deer, for example) for food, sport, or population control.

To extract from a culture or a living or recently deceased body, especially for transplantation: harvested bone marrow.

To gather a crop from.

To receive (the benefits or consequences of an action). See synonyms at reap.

I would bet those same dictionaries will show the word "fax" as a verb. There ain't no such word.

Dictionaries, such as the two cited, often contain words or definitions that have crept into our lexicon because of MISUSAGE. I wouldn't doubt "googled' has already made its way into them, too. I doubt you'll find the definition for harvest applied to killing individual animals in a REAL dictionary.

The ONLY time harvest should come into play when using it in reference to live sentient beings is an after-the-fact collection. If the game department does it's job, there will be a harvestable surplus of game, and when hunters kill that surplus they have amassed a collection of DEAD animals that can be expressed with the word, harvest, i.e. the total deer harvest for 2007 was 50,000. Before they became part of the harvest, however, someone had to kill them.

Saying, "I harvested an elk," is akin to implying shame that one killed it. And the non-hunting fence sitters aren't naive or stupid; most people over 5 year old know hunters don't walk into the woods, pluck animals off the trees and put them in their pockets. Apple pickers do that when they harvest the apple crop. For that, there's no need to kill the apples first.

It reminds me of an incident when my oldest son was about 4. We were watching a Dumbo (the elephant) movie on TV. I said to him, "That thing is humongous." He said, "Yeah, it's really big, too."

Analogy: Non-hunter standing in my trophy room and asking me where my moose came from:

I say, "I harvested it in British columbia. She says, "Yeah, looks like you killed it, too."

Geez, the non-hunting public certainly doesn't use harvest in the context of the domestic critters we eat everyday. They no doubt are well aware that one can't effectively butcher a cow or a chicken until it's killed (slaughtered) first. Likewise for a deer or an elk.

If some here want to "soften the blow" by using harvest rather than kill in their conversations or writing, knock yourselves out. Just realize that no one is being fooled by its use.

Now, I'm done with this topic. ;) -TONY

Wow..... I must say I never thought that I would see such opposite opinions on this thread.... :D

Mr. Q and Tony..... You guys are on the forefront of the written hunting world and I never thought about these things the way that you do..... and it has a ring of solid truth. I think I speak for many of us, when I say, that both your words and opinions are always respected and well thought of. In this case, I honestly do not agree. :rolleyes: I do, however, see the wisdom in what you are pointing at and drawing from. :) But..... I believe the softer people of todays world require softer wording. I do not think it Cowardly to harvest a deer... which is what I do.... I kill coyotes and prairie dogs..... I harvest the animals that I eat.... and I did (when it was legal), harvest fur bareing animals. You see, they are a renewable resource, and sustenance in my life... just like corn, apples, and wheat. I consider the killing part of hunting the ends to a means and a very small part of the process, not unlike that of a farmer butchering a chicken for dinner. I go afield today more for the hunt itself than the harvest, or kill.... to me killing is random, to harvest means that I chose that one animal and removed it from the field, very similar to how you would pick (harvest) an apple off a tree full of apples. It is a term that has completely different meaning in my life... and is a good, wholesome term that correctly depicts who I am as a hunter. :) As a management tool, hunters are harvesting a crop of animals that would otherwise in short order, over populate its shrinking habitat..... and without the hunter generated proceeds of that crop, there would be little or no management at all.

I thank everyone who has posted on this thread. It is all a very good read and all well said.

Okay I got tired of reading this post. First of all Bill Quimby 'kill' is a three letter word, and C'N'S did you eat those prairie dogs and coyotes ?

Guys once again this harvest/kill thing stinks with weakness...How about we just say it like it is, and just be who we are. Piss on the anti's........I'am a HUNTER and this year I hope to shoot a BIG old buck..... ;)

C'N'S did you eat those prairie dogs and coyotes ?

:rolleyes: :huh: :rolleyes:

elmer: I think if you re-read my post it explains the difference between what I eat and don't. :rolleyes:

I was not going to re post on this thread again because, I liked the concept that everyone should just put in their $.02..... but since you asked.... :D

.......The Dictionary that is inside my head does define the words Kill, Harvest, Killing, or Harvesting as they are used in my post, I don't use them to appease the Anti's. :rolleyes: I am younger than most of you and I happen to represent the Next Generation (Generation X)..... I have a fire that burns within me that is as hot and red as the one that burns within you (and maybe hotter). I, however, try to choose my battles... because I pray that we/I might have a chance to win the war. Those words, obviously, mean something to me that they don't to others.... and I'm okay with that. :) I do, however, hope that those who hear me say it, friend or foe, know that I say them with conviction and honor. ;)

Oh, and BTW..... I ain't no stinkin' Liberal neither! ;) :rolleyes: :lol:

CnS

Dang... I'm late for the party again!

Being Politically Correct is a liberal's way of invoking their ideas on everyone else. I don't like it.

Fact is, you can say something a lot of different ways, and if there are 100 people in a room, someone will take offense no matter how you put it.

Just call em like you see um.

Say what you mean, Mean what you say and have common sense about who your audience is.

When you go to tell a joke, I would guess you don't tell it the same way for adults and children, or men or women.

God gave us brains and concience to help keep us out of trouble. If you don't use em, you will wish you had.

Later

I would bet those same dictionaries will show the word "fax" as a verb. There ain't no such word.

Dictionaries, such as the two cited, often contain words or definitions that have crept into our lexicon because of MISUSAGE. I wouldn't doubt "googled' has already made its way into them, too. I doubt you'll find the definition for harvest applied to killing individual animals in a REAL dictionary.

The ONLY time harvest should come into play when using it in reference to live sentient beings is an after-the-fact collection. If the game department does it's job, there will be a harvestable surplus of game, and when hunters kill that surplus they have amassed a collection of DEAD animals that can be expressed with the word, harvest, i.e. the total deer harvest for 2007 was 50,000. Before they became part of the harvest, however, someone had to kill them.

Saying, "I harvested an elk," is akin to implying shame that one killed it. And the non-hunting fence sitters aren't naive or stupid; most people over 5 year old know hunters don't walk into the woods, pluck animals off the trees and put them in their pockets. Apple pickers do that when they harvest the apple crop. For that, there's no need to kill the apples first.

It reminds me of an incident when my oldest son was about 4. We were watching a Dumbo (the elephant) movie on TV. I said to him, "That thing is humongous." He said, "Yeah, it's really big, too."

Analogy: Non-hunter standing in my trophy room and asking me where my moose came from:

I say, "I harvested it in British columbia. She says, "Yeah, looks like you killed it, too."

Geez, the non-hunting public certainly doesn't use harvest in the context of the domestic critters we eat everyday. They no doubt are well aware that one can't effectively butcher a cow or a chicken until it's killed (slaughtered) first. Likewise for a deer or an elk.

If some here want to "soften the blow" by using harvest rather than kill in their conversations or writing, knock yourselves out. Just realize that no one is being fooled by its use.

Now, I'm done with this topic. ;) -TONY

Well said, Tony. I also am dropping out.

Bill Quimby

Wow, you guys were busy while I was away HUNTING!

As a HUNTER let me tell you what I did hunting this weekend

As all of you know this was opening weekend for Archery Deer.

So after work Friday I loaded up my camper and went out to help a good friend try to fill his turkey and deer tag.

This friend has hunted a long time and does not need my help to hunt but he is recovering from surgey and may need help with the recovery of said Game.

Problems did arise so he was unable to hunt but we spent the weekend HUNTING.

By this I mean we went and checked some of our spots,

We got maps and GPS out and went to look at some new spots.

We spent time Glassing for upcoming hunts.

We sat around a camp fire, had a few drinks and talked about past times spent together.

We worked together to prepare our meal of Elk steak, baked potato and corn.

The two of use look forward to many more succesful Hunting trips like this one.

I do have a Deer tag in my pocket but did not take my bow with me.

I had hunting to do for my Daughters Bull hunt in about a month.

Hunting is Much more than Killing.

Not to be Praised and in fact was very upset with above hunter for posting it here but some of you know how I spent part of my summer.

I spent time and money to cut fallen trees off of fencing at GF tanks.

I retared the cracks in GF tank aprons.

I hauled water to the drying tanks.

This is why I feel when I am blessed with the fruits of my labor,

"I have harvested.."

Thank you all for posting.

Mike

Wow, you guys were busy while I was away HUNTING!

As a HUNTER let me tell you what I did hunting this weekend

As all of you know this was opening weekend for Archery Deer.

So after work Friday I loaded up my camper and went out to help a good friend try to fill his turkey and deer tag.

This friend has hunted a long time and does not need my help to hunt but he is recovering from surgey and may need help with the recovery of said Game.

Problems did arise so he was unable to hunt but we spent the weekend HUNTING.

By this I mean we went and checked some of our spots,

We got maps and GPS out and went to look at some new spots.

We spent time Glassing for upcoming hunts.

We sat around a camp fire, had a few drinks and talked about past times spent together.

We worked together to prepare or meal of Elk steak, baked potato and corn.

The two of use look forward to many more succesful Hunting trips like this one.

I do have a Deer tag in my pocket but did not take my bow with me.

I had hunting to do for my Daughters Bull hunt in about a month.

Hunting is Much more than Killing.

Not to be Praised and in fact was very upset with above hunter for posting it here but some of you know how I spent part of my summer.

I spent time and money to cut fallen trees off of fencing at GF tanks.

I retared the cracks in GF tank aprons.

I hauled water to the drying tanks.

This is why I feel when I am blessed with the fruits of my labor,

I have harvested..

Thank you all for posting.

Mike

Very good statement right there Mike!