Sign in to follow this  
bmf1321

Does????

Since archgery season has opened i have been seeing ALOt of does. Unfortunetly not many bucks but that is a whole different topic. The does I have been seeing are solo. Have they had their fawns yet and just hiding them or are they isolating themselves in order to give birth soon? Also, when a doe or deer stomps their feet, what are they doing? signaling?

Research by AGFD showed peak fawning to be in August. So the fawns could be hiding somewhere.

here is more info on the life stages of Coues

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biology/life_stages.htm

When a deer stomps it's foot it generally means it is alerted to some kind of danger. Stomping it's foot can be a way to alert other deer of possible danger and also to startle the object (say a lion or coyote) into moving so the deer can confirm it's really there. It may also be a way of the deer sort of signaling to a predator something like "hey, I see you already, don't bother to attack me".

Amanda

Thanks for the info. I ask because I sat and watched a doe at about 20 yards yesterday. She froze and looked in my direction for a while then began to stomp. What you said makes perfect sense. Thanks again.

Research by AGFD showed peak fawning to be in August. So the fawns could be hiding somewhere.

here is more info on the life stages of Coues

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biology/life_stages.htm

When a deer stomps it's foot it generally means it is alerted to some kind of danger. Stomping it's foot can be a way to alert other deer of possible danger and also to startle the object (say a lion or coyote) into moving so the deer can confirm it's really there. It may also be a way of the deer sort of signaling to a predator something like "hey, I see you already, don't bother to attack me".

Amanda

post-718-1188411216_thumb.jpg

If you want to have some fun with the youngins, take a fawn bleat out to an area thick with does during the fawn months. Stay down wind of bedding areas, and let the kids blow the call. I've had does almost run over me. We used it in the south to call in does(does were harvested there) works about 30% of the time, but only when the fawns are young, 1-4 months

Be careful with that...Littlebear and I were calling for foxes and I had a doe come all the way up and start kicking me!!!!!! No joke. Funniest thing ever after it was all said and done........hahahahaha

No Joke... I used to work at Fort Bayard Medical Center in Silver City and there is about 50 resident Coues deer that cruise the grounds... ANYWAY, we had a patient try to pet one of the babies and that patient got a butt kicking that was amazing. When they went to rescue the patient that doe unleashed on some of the staff.... I would have loved to see that Workmans Comp write up...

Jason

I saw nothin but does during my hunt & it was about half 'n half for those that had fawns & those without. None of the ones flying solo look pregnant though, so I'm sure they had their fawns tucked away some where.