Sign in to follow this  
Splatt

Fixed power or variable spotter ?

Do you use a fixed or variable power spotter ?

Is a fixed 30x, a good choice ?

Straight or angled body ?

I don't have a great answer on the fixed or variable debate, but I am 100 happy with my straight bodied spotters. I normally glass from the highest point I can find and glassing down requires bending my neck to look into the angled ones. Using a straight bodied one also makes it easier for me to find a specific spot that I want to check out.

I use an angled one at the range.

I used to have a fixed power 30X Bauch & Lomb I used for everything until someone came into my camp in New River and took it about 20 years ago.

For me I use both fixed and variable mainly because I use my spotter to glass with. If I was only using the spotter to occasionally get a better look at a buck or what not then a zoom eyepiece would be my choice.

If I had to pick only one eyepiece I go with a 25x-30x fixed but I prefer to used lowest power fixed available for glassing and a variable up to at least 40x for getting a closer look at stuff. For a year or so I had a fixed 16x, 20x, 27x and 40x in conjunction with a 13x-40x variable. In the end I found myself using the 16x about 90% of the time and for getting a closer look at things I preferred using the viable 13-40x over the others due it's flexibility.

I prefer straight over angled but currently I'm using angled with no problems. Angled can be a pain while glassing down hill so keep that in mind if you do majority of your glassing down hill.

Does a budget spotter with the sole purpose of getting a better look at antlers exist? Now that I have 15's I find myself finding bucks farther out and being able to see antlers but not close enough to get as good of a score estimate as I would like.

I have no desire to glass with the spotter as the one eye thing gives me a headache.

I like the straight angle - personal choice. I find it easier to get on target.

I really think you need an adjustable eyepiece. 20-60 or more, IMO. Having the ability to get a wide range of view at 20X, then focus in at 60 or 80x if you can gives you a lot more detail.

Angle or straight I don't seem to mind either, I run both fixed and variable. My fixed is 30x wide so it has a good field of view. Variable runs up to 48 power if needed. Most of the time the 30 is on it.