AZcoues_addict

My First Antelope!

I finally got my first antelope, and archery spot and stalk, the way I like it!

Day one and two: I hunted opening weekend trying to locate an extremely big buck named “New WR” that I knew was in the area, but with no luck and I only saw a few does and a couple little bucks. With a day and a half wasted, frustration set in and we finally decided to try another area where I'd scouted multiple (3) very nice bucks and hard early rutting activity. With a little patience, some tricky maneuvering and belly crawling, I’d finally got within my long range pins for a far shot. The buck never knew I was there. I took the shot, and a very quick string-jumping lope got out of the way before the arrow ever got there! Darn, this was starting to remind me of my last antelope hunt where I ate tag soup. :angry: The rest of day two was spent belly crawling and laying in the grass out of range, and waiting, hoping for another buck to come within range, while the sun beat down and baked my neck.

Day three: we headed to yet another area where a buck with huge prongs that I named “Pointer” was located. I stalked him twice that day, and both times he followed his does to the same secondary meadow, retreating past the same juniper tree. I now had a great game plan for later in the hunt, but needed assistance so I called a buddy come to join the hunt the next weekend. We headed home, empty handed.

Day four and five: Was actually days 7-8 of the hunt, but we had to go home for work, etc., etc. We looked for “Pointer” and another huge buck I’d seen while scouting, who had the whole package, but we never found either one. Only saw does without a buck! Strange, time of year for that, but yet more bad days of hunting!

Day six: We retreated again to a honey hole, where I’d seen some very nice bucks, and quite a bit more cover for stalking. Early that morning I spotted a nice buck right off the bat, on top of the next ridgeline. I quickly moved through from small bush to bush about every 60-75 yards or so, sneaking through the grass in-between, to try and get ahead of the buck for an ambush. After sneaking for about 300 yards, I then spotted a second buck, which was one of the very large bucks I’d seen in the area and he was just over the ridge top. I changed my course, and now headed for thick cover near the area of the big buck. As I approached, the tall grass and flowers made it nearly impossible to see bedded game. I slowly passed through, and surely jumped the bedded buck at 100 yards, who didn’t leave me a shot as I ducked down in the grass. Now the big buck, the nice buck, and a doe all headed slowly out of sight back toward my original approaching path. They never saw me, but snorted at me a few times and pranced off. I was kicking myself for not moving slower, not seeing the bedded buck’s prongs first, etc.. I then slowly moved toward the skyline and just as I neared the top, all 3 were there feeding just over the hill! The smaller buck saw motion, as I ducked again and waited. All three came back over the ridge top toward me, the large buck and doe headed toward cover and were quickly out of sight, but the small buck stopped and gave me a long shot. I quickly ranged him and let one fly! Of course he jumped the string, and I just missed, again, story of my life. :angry: I watched all the antelope head through a small tree-spotted area toward another meadow, where I headed hoping to find them.

As I neared the second meadow, I quickly spotted a few bucks cruising through and looking for does. As they fed off, I followed, stalking through the grass and hiding behind whatever small juniper or scrub brush I could find. I finally got under a nice-sized juniper in the shade, and in tall weeds, when a buck came from over the hill and back my way, stopping at 120 yards in the shade of another juniper. He waited there for probably 10 minutes, and I thought he was going to bed. Finally he started walking right toward me and I told myself that if he came within 40 yards and stood there, then I’d have to take a shot, even though I had my sights set a little higher on a bigger buck. Well, he approached to 38 yards broadside so I drew back, and then he turned to face me straight on! I’ve never had that shot before, but was very confident so I aimed carefully right at the center of his chest which seemed like an eternity. As I applied pressure to the release, the arrow flew right on target toward its mark. He ran as fast as I’ve ever seen an antelope run, but only 70 yards so, and then he did a face dive and it was soon all over. My first antelope was down! I center-punched him 1.5 inches off center, and the arrow penetrated just through his diaphragm. It was one of the most deadly shots I’ve ever made. He wasn’t one of the big bucks I’d scouted and spent nearly 500 dollars on gas looking for all summer, but I couldn’t pass such an opportunity and am extremely happy with harvesting my first antelope.

post-918-1188982347_thumb.jpg

post-918-1188982431_thumb.jpg

I finally got my first antelope, and archery spot and stalk, the way I like it!

Day one and two: I hunted opening weekend trying to locate an extremely big buck named “New WR” that I knew was in the area, but with no luck and I only saw a few does and a couple little bucks. With a day and a half wasted, frustration set in and we finally decided to try another area where I'd scouted multiple (3) very nice bucks and hard early rutting activity. With a little patience, some tricky maneuvering and belly crawling, I’d finally got within my long range pins for a far shot. The buck never knew I was there. I took the shot, and a very quick string-jumping lope got out of the way before the arrow ever got there! Darn, this was starting to remind me of my last antelope hunt where I ate tag soup. :angry: The rest of day two was spent belly crawling and laying in the grass out of range, and waiting, hoping for another buck to come within range, while the sun beat down and baked my neck.

Day three: we headed to yet another area where a buck with huge prongs that I named “Pointer” was located. I stalked him twice that day, and both times he followed his does to the same secondary meadow, retreating past the same juniper tree. I now had a great game plan for later in the hunt, but needed assistance so I called a buddy come to join the hunt the next weekend. We headed home, empty handed.

Day four and five: Was actually days 7-8 of the hunt, but we had to go home for work, etc., etc. We looked for “Pointer” and another huge buck I’d seen while scouting, who had the whole package, but we never found either one. Only saw does without a buck! Strange, time of year for that, but yet more bad days of hunting!

Day six: We retreated again to a honey hole, where I’d seen some very nice bucks, and quite a bit more cover for stalking. Early that morning I spotted a nice buck right off the bat, on top of the next ridgeline. I quickly moved through from small bush to bush about every 60-75 yards or so, sneaking through the grass in-between, to try and get ahead of the buck for an ambush. After sneaking for about 300 yards, I then spotted a second buck, which was one of the very large bucks I’d seen in the area and he was just over the ridge top. I changed my course, and now headed for thick cover near the area of the big buck. As I approached, the tall grass and flowers made it nearly impossible to see bedded game. I slowly passed through, and surely jumped the bedded buck at 100 yards, who didn’t leave me a shot as I ducked down in the grass. Now the big buck, the nice buck, and a doe all headed slowly out of sight back toward my original approaching path. They never saw me, but snorted at me a few times and pranced off. I was kicking myself for not moving slower, not seeing the bedded buck’s prongs first, etc.. I then slowly moved toward the skyline and just as I neared the top, all 3 were there feeding just over the hill! The smaller buck saw motion, as I ducked again and waited. All three came back over the ridge top toward me, the large buck and doe headed toward cover and were quickly out of sight, but the small buck stopped and gave me a long shot. I quickly ranged him and let one fly! Of course he jumped the string, and I just missed, again, story of my life. :angry: I watched all the antelope head through a small tree-spotted area toward another meadow, where I headed hoping to find them.

As I neared the second meadow, I quickly spotted a few bucks cruising through and looking for does. As they fed off, I followed, stalking through the grass and hiding behind whatever small juniper or scrub brush I could find. I finally got under a nice-sized juniper in the shade, and in tall weeds, when a buck came from over the hill and back my way, stopping at 120 yards in the shade of another juniper. He waited there for probably 10 minutes, and I thought he was going to bed. Finally he started walking right toward me and I told myself that if he came within 40 yards and stood there, then I’d have to take a shot, even though I had my sights set a little higher on a bigger buck. Well, he approached to 38 yards broadside so I drew back, and then he turned to face me straight on! I’ve never had that shot before, but was very confident so I aimed carefully right at the center of his chest which seemed like an eternity. As I applied pressure to the release, the arrow flew right on target toward its mark. He ran as fast as I’ve ever seen an antelope run, but only 70 yards so, and then he did a face dive and it was soon all over. My first antelope was down! I center-punched him 1.5 inches off center, and the arrow penetrated just through his diaphragm. It was one of the most deadly shots I’ve ever made. He wasn’t one of the big bucks I’d scouted and spent nearly 500 dollars on gas looking for all summer, but I couldn’t pass such an opportunity and am extremely happy with harvesting my first antelope.

post-918-1188982347_thumb.jpg

post-918-1188982431_thumb.jpg

Hey nice buck there. I'm still waiting to get drawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Antelope and way to stick with it.... Great shot by the way!

AzP&Y - Hope to draw a tag (someday) <_<

I see nothing wrong with that bad boy, nice work and congrats........

Great buck and awesome write up with cool pictures! Thanks for sharing it with us and congrats to you for putting in all the time and work with an awesome ending.

Phil

Outstanding !!! Congrats on a real nice buck and thanks for the great story!

azyoung

Awesome job Jason. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and had alot of opprotunities and you were blessed with this great goat. Good Job!!!