Sign in to follow this  
teej89

Is it possible to hunt elk each year as an AZ resi?

I'm considering moving to AZ, it's been a big conflict between the fiance and I because I want Boise Idaho and she wants the beach in Cali. We decided on AZ because of the weather and I can hunt still. Anywho, if i'm not searching for massive bulls is it possible to hunt archery/muzzleloader/rifle elk each year? Is it possible a bull tag each year? I saw the OTC/non-permit tags but the success looks very bleak for those, so I'm specifically talking drawing a tag each year. I wouldn't care not accumulating points either if I could hunt every year. We hunt wyoming, colorado and soon montana but I'd love to be able to drive a couple hours on a friday and elk hunt the weekend.

Thanks guys!

T.J.

If you don't mind hunting archery in November you can draw most years. Ut and Colorado are a days drive from central and northern AZ. You are not going to draw early season Bull tags every year in AZ but you might get lucky and draw your first time applying. It happens semi-regularly. If you move now I think you will still be a non residence for the next elk draw though which makes it tough.

Yes.....mostly cow hunts and late archery hunts for a bull tag. There's a member on here that has had I think somewhere around 20+ Draw elk tags in a row.

• Like 1

If you don't mind hunting archery in November you can draw most years. Ut and Colorado are a days drive from central and northern AZ. You are not going to draw early season Bull tags every year in AZ but you might get lucky and draw your first time applying. It happens semi-regularly. If you move now I think you will still be a non residence for the next elk draw though which makes it tough.

That was my thought too, I can drive up to UT and hunt the spike/cow OTC units. Or head up around Durango and hunt. I'm on gohunt.com and the 2015 AZ draw information page and it looks like 22 and 6a has a lot of late season rifle tags, which isn't a far distance form me, we're looking to live in Prescott.

Ive only been able to draw 2 elk tags in the last 8 years. The last couple years I've put in for early bull 1st and 2nd choice and filled the other choices with late hunts. Still nada.

I would not expect to draw a bull tag here every other year, much less every year. Some people have better luck in the elk draw, but not most of the ones I talk to.

Take your az tags when you can get them, and drive some where else when you cant.

Ive only been able to draw 2 elk tags in the last 8 years. The last couple years I've put in for early bull 1st and 2nd choice and filled the other choices with late hunts. Still nada.

I would not expect to draw a bull tag here every other year, much less every year. Some people have better luck in the elk draw, but not most of the ones I talk to.

Take your az tags when you can get them, and drive some where else when you cant.

My plan was to not even apply for early bull and just apply for the late hunts. Right now I'm not terribly ecstatic about drawing the dream hunt, I'd rather hunt every year. Maybe down the road I'll apply for the early rifle hunts but I'm new-ish to elk hunting so for now I just want to hunt any elk.

If its just late hunts your odds are lot better. Probably 6-7 out of 10 times on late hunts (cows). Prescott has pretty good weather, not as good as the beach weather. You can never beat that. Plus AZ is only 5-6 hours away from the beach.

If its just late hunts your odds are lot better. Probably 6-7 out of 10 times on late hunts (cows). Prescott has pretty good weather, not as good as the beach weather. You can never beat that. Plus AZ is only 5-6 hours away from the beach.

we were looking around phoenix, we both aren't a fan of cities so we feel like we'd be in the city traffic/life that we hate. We both grew up in small towns, me a lot smaller than her but we're trying to find towns where it'll feel more like small town living. We're flying over there in january to check out areas near phoenix and the prescott area. I also don't know if I/my lab could do the summer heat lol

we were looking around phoenix, we both aren't a fan of cities so we feel like we'd be in the city traffic/life that we hate. We both grew up in small towns, me a lot smaller than her but we're trying to find towns where it'll feel more like small town living. We're flying over there in january to check out areas near phoenix and the prescott area. I also don't know if I/my lab could do the summer heat lol

Id say youre on the right track. I lived in the prescott area for 10 years, and wish I'd never left. Moved down to this hellhole 12 years ago to escape the ex and make more money, but now the wife and I are ready to head back up the hill. We'll be shopping for a lot next summer and plan to start building in 2018.

City life and heat is what you will get in Phx. There are lots of nice places in phx, mesa, gilbert, and there are bad spots. Work and money is where it is at in Phx valley. I cant go anywhere because my business is here. If I could I would live in Montana. But wife and I are native borns, and if she ever moved (which it wouldn't happen it would be the beach for her) I love the beach but man it is packed all the time. Rush hour is busy here but most of the time traffic moves. If you want small town feel Prescott is a nice place to be with a few stores to choose from. Flagstaff is also nice but the inner city is hippy-ed out, but lots of out door stuff to do. Summers suck in Phx, but the winters is what i live for. At least you wont be in -5 weather all winter back east. Its sad that my brother is excited to move from Illinois to Colorado for warmer weather :)

Id say youre on the right track. I lived in the prescott area for 10 years, and wish I'd never left. Moved down to this hellhole 12 years ago to escape the ex and make more money, but now the wife and I are ready to head back up the hill. We'll be shopping for a lot next summer and plan to start building in 2018.
I am able to enjoy the outdoors by making money off the people who move here and build a house and make it harder for me to enjoy the outdoors... Y ou should buy now. Prescott is starting to boom again and prices are going up and up!
  • Like 1

Yeah, I know. We just signed a contract to buy another cnc mill. I figure it'll take a year to pay it off, then we'll be shopping for our lot.

It would be too much of a hit to our liquid assets to do it now, but that extra machine will turn into some serious gains in the savings plan. :D

• Like 1