Sign in to follow this  
bowsniper

Do Bucks smell better??

Buck are certainly more suspicious and obviously more sensitive to noise and movement. But, I'm wondering if they might be more sensitive to human scent. Possibly either their smell is better or they are just less tolerant to human scent? I had always thought that does and bucks pretty much were able to smell human scent the same. But after 6 days of sitting in my tree stand, I'm beginning the think that this is not the case. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Mark

My guess is bucks and does have the same ability to smell human scent, but I think does have less to fear from it (since they are generally not hunted), so perhaps they spend less energy fleeing from it since it's not as much of a threat to them.

Amanda

I agree with Amanda but at the same time when a doe drops their fawns they are some of the most spooky deer i have seen. I think it depends on the time of year too--if a deer is in the rut he could care less about the different smells--he has one thing on his mind and it is the does that will save his bacon because they will take him away from you by simply retreating to a safe zone.

I have to agree with Amanda. I look at it like this, I have found it is easier to walk up on does that are looking at me than it is to walk up on bucks. Bucks just seem to have a 6th sense and are just more skidish (SP?) than does.

" Do Bucks smell better??"

I prefer the smell of Does :unsure:

Nothing would smell better to me right now than 100 million bucks! :lol:

I'm new to Az and Coues hunting, but I've hunted all over for the past 42 years and have some knowledge of deer. I believe they have equal power of smell, but like what was said the bucks are more wary because of being hunted. In areas where the does are hunted (legally or not) they are very bit as wary as bucks. They are easier to find though because they usually exist in larger numbers. This is a good test as to whether your area is being poached too. If the does duck and run when they see you somebody's been shooting them and probably the bucks too. You may want to look for other signs of illegal activities and tip off the warden. I did this in one area in particular 5 years ago and now there are trophy quality bucks showing up and the does could care less if you watch them, like this one.

Mark

post-2095-1189647513_thumb.jpg

Do Bucks smell better?? Betcha they smell alot better than Lark ........... :lol: