AZkiller

Lost bull

600 grain arrow is needed for elk??!!!

Funny, the one in my avatar must have been a weenie, he died after one shot from an arrow 2/3's that weight.

I like the conversation and there maybe are some folks that don't show the same respect as others do BUT... Its none of your business, nor does everyone have to use a 600 grain arrow to hunt elk for christs sakes.. I think you may be just a little over the top on that one.

The biggest animal I ever let get away was a giant texas whitetail when I was 14. 168 grains of .308 and a bad shot. Same result. It's all about the placement. If they hit bone, it wasn't in the right place.

To each to own man, let it go.

Your bull must have been very weak then.

F it.. I'm just going to start shooting cold steel spears out of my Mathews... That way I can finally be an ethical elk hunter.

Azkiller you might get a different reaction if you had brought all the facts that took 20 something post's to get around to your point. The discussion and reminder about shot placement is never a bad subject to remind hunters of shot placement but for you to imply that all archery hunters are bad shots does not sit well. Now as all the stories get added about hearsay on how many bulls get wounded during archery season you can add just as many for rifle hunters who do not check up on shots because they saw no sign of a hit.Go bird watching after the rifle hunts up around the meadows in unit 1 and see how many cows you can find because rifle hunters just open up on cow herds in the meadows. Or maybe ask how many of us have dug bullets out of animals that we have cleaned. Your rhetoric is old as it hits here every year.

• Like 2

Azkiller you might get a different reaction if you had brought all the facts that took 20 something post's to get around to your point. The discussion and reminder about shot placement is never a bad subject to remind hunters of shot placement but for you to imply that all archery hunters are bad shots does not sit well. Now as all the stories get added about hearsay on how many bulls get wounded during archery season you can add just as many for rifle hunters who do not check up on shots because they saw no sign of a hit.Go bird watching after the rifle hunts up around the meadows in unit 1 and see how many cows you can find because rifle hunters just open up on cow herds in the meadows. Or maybe ask how many of us have dug bullets out of animals that we have cleaned. Your rhetoric is old as it hits here every year.

Yea so take that put it in your pipe and smoke it AZkiller. :P

• Like 1

I shoot a 420 grain arrow went through a rib both lungs and another rib. The arrow did not blow threw but did penetrate the other side. Any lighter I worry about penetration but any heavier i have to worry about arrow drop. I.e. Yardage needs to be more exact, there's more gap between the pins. Imo Glad the bull was taken and meat saved. That's more important then antler size.

• Like 1

Sorry for being off topic here but I find a dead bull almost every year on my hikes and most of the time cannot find any evidence the bull died at the hands of a hunter. Makes me wonder how many bulls we lose each year to bull fights with a superior warrior??

• Like 1

Sorry for being off topic here but I find a dead bull almost every year on my hikes and most of the time cannot find any evidence the bull died at the hands of a hunter. Makes me wonder how many bulls we lose each year to bull fights with a superior warrior??

If you ever get to watch them fight, I'm sure more than a guy thinks!

Totally agree Wish. I've seen some ferocious fights and almost been trampled a few times in the process of enjoying the movie!