Hoss50

Project Medium Range Big Game Hammer

I want to start working on a 30 caliber longer range elk/deer rifle. I have 2 options to start from.

Weatherby Vanguard in 300 weatherby mag. Or

Savage tactical 110FP in 300 win. Mag.

Both need a scope and a muzzle brake right off the bat. The savage probably has better accuracy potential but is much heavier. I can load for both rounds.

I think the scope I am leaning towards is the Vortex Viper HSLR FFP 4x16x50.

Thoughts? Insight? Budget is a concern. I don't have $3k to spend making something super sweet just yet.

Thanks

Harley

I am completely torn. I was pretty set on the weatherby, but today I was thinking and flip floped to the savage.

Have you looked at what is available for replacement parts like triggers and stocks for both? Both are on par with each other ballistically to the point that performance on game comes down to bullet selection.

I would do the 300 win mag, but the tactical part is screaming heavy heavy heavy! Options out there more for the 300 win mag, cheaper ammo to!!!

I had never been a fan of Savage before the last one I did load development for. Being an R700 man, Savage always seemed "cheap" to me. But after shooting that last Savage 111 LRH changed my opinion on them. That .300WM could shoot! I put one of my better groups down range on a steel with it. I actually measured it with the owner, and it put 3 into a 2.25" group at 727 yards with the final load. 210 HVLD @ 2940fps.

I always had the opinion of Weatherby being that you are paying for the name more than the rifle. But you can't argue with their proprietary cartridges get good speed.

• Like 1

I know they will both shoot well. The savage especially. It has a bargin Simmons 6-18x40 scope on it and it shot 5 remington 180gr corelokts under 1" at 100.

I pulled out 50 cases for the 300 win mag last night to start case prep. I am going to send it to get a muzzle brake soon, and probably put a Vortex HS-LR 6x24x50 FFP on it.

Harley

• Like 1

I decided the best option to work on was the Savage 110FP in 300 win mag.

I just dropped this off to have a slabbed 5 port Muscle Brake put on it. When I get it back I am going to start working on a new scope, bases, and rings...

I am itching to order a scope but may have to wait a little longer...

Specs??? What brand, and weight are you looking at?? Im shooting the 208 ELD-m Hornady exactly 3000 fps 1/2 MOA. Heavy is what you want if you want long range. Lots of people do well with the 210 Bergers too. I thought about trying the LR Accubond for the 300, but Ive seen some strange things with the LR Accubonds for the .270 and the 6.5 mm.

I bought a box of 208gr ELD-X to start working with once I get the rifle back and the scope ordered. I ordered rings and they should be here soon. Talley 1pc Ring/Base Combo.

I will probably start working with the 208gr and H1000 to start with.

1 step closer. My buddy picked up his and my rifle from the smith today after getting muzzle brakes added. They are cerakoted black and look great. Mine is the 5 port brake on the heavy barrel.

The Talley lightweight rings showed up today too. Now I need to order a scope...

post-592-0-46185500-1478309289_thumb.jpg

I bought a box of 208gr ELD-X to start working with once I get the rifle back and the scope ordered. I ordered rings and they should be here soon. Talley 1pc Ring/Base Combo.

I will probably start working with the 208gr and H1000 to start with.

If it is 208 gr then it is ELD-M and not the X! The x's are the 200 gr and 212 gr. But don't fear. Hornady has not specifically said the new ELD-m is exactly the Amax but with a new heat shield. I have no reason to believe they changed that bullet except for a new tip. And everybody loves the Amaxs on game.

Im shooting the ELD-M 208 on my Remington 300 win mag.

78.7gr H1000

OAL 2.867

Coal to fit for a reaper is 3.611. The gun liked it shorter to 3.601

Fed. 210m primer

Hornady Brass (i was going to switch it to Nosler but it was all within 1 grain)

0.54" MOA

I would say those ELDs were kind of tough to find a spot, but after quite a bit of shooting I got it.

post-12761-0-38948400-1478312948_thumb.jpg

Oh and its shooting right at 3000 fps!!! :)

They must be the 212gr then.