Sign in to follow this  
davidkucharik

Breeding for personal use?

So heres my question. I bought a dog out in Wilcox, and he is a good dog. ( cant get him to hunt) but I posted that in another topic....So if I am not planning to breed him for his "Bloodline" or his "name" so to speak, is it ok to breed him with another persons dog strictly for hunting purposes or family companion? I never registered my dog because that was never important to me. I don't care what his bloodline is, or any of that fancy stuff, I just care that he hunts with me and the boys and is good to my kids. I don't even care if he is a good huntin dog, just having him tag along and be there is all I need. So with that in mind, Is it wrong to breed him? Find someone who also isn't interested in bloodline and fancy registration, but just wants another huntin buddy/family pet? Id be willing to breed him for a pick of the the first yellow lab pup. But keep in mind, withought him being registered, I can't breed him for $$ OR use his heritage legally. That was never my intent, I'd just like another huntin companion for him. Any thoughts?

Never registered my bitch and she was fine with it. She had a great litter of pups and were great dogs still know alot of the owners who have them. Your dog do what you want with him.

You do what you want with him he is your dog. I have a few questions to ask.

So you want to breed your dog for hunting and companion purposes right? Why would you breed a dog for hunting purposes that doesn't hunt, swim or fetch? Seems silly that's what they are bred to do. Not to mention he is gun shy. Most good breeders won't touch a gun shy dog.

You don't care about what's in his pedigree so you don't know what is in his bloodline and neither will the people getting your pups. What kind of health concerns are in his bloodline?

He's a good dog. Ok. There are a lot of good dogs out there that shouldn't be used for breeding.

Labs are known for a lot of medical issues such as hip dysplasia. So will you OFA your dog? Do you know what OFA is? Were the sire and dame you got this dog from OFAd? You don't want a litter of pups that are highly dysplastic. It's a sad thing to see when you see a dog that can't walk because he has bad hips. I've seen dogs under 1 that can't walk because of Hip Dysplasia. All because of bad breeding.

When you breed a dog it comes with a lot of responsibility. Is this breeding good for the breed itself?

My opinion is if you want to get this dog a buddy, go buy one from a responsible, quality breeder, or better yet go adopt one.

• Like 2

Tres is spot on.

Gunshy lack of hunt desire are all things that can be passed on.

There are many studies even for just your "PET" quality dogs that warn Puppy Buyers even for just the Companion pet to watch out for issues in the dams and sires of the pups as what you see in the Parents of the pups is a good indicator of you will have' in the pups Especially Sound sensitive issues,

So next question what will you do with the pups no one wants? Rescue Animal shelter extra are filled with average animals and animals with genetic issues and animals with epigenetic issues.

As Stated it is your dog - But do think about those pups and read your post. I think and would hope you can answer your own question

• Like 2

To answer a few questions, Yes his bloodline on both his moms side and dad side is good on the hip displacia. they gave us the certs for all that. As for the rest, I spoke to a few members on here, and dog training may just be what he needs. We took him out today, and he didn't run away when my son was shooting at birds, so I hope this means he is getting better. As for the bloodline, his dad was a great hunter and mom was pretty average. We got to see his profile. So I agree these traits can be passed on, but also can skip. If mine turns out to be a non-hunter, despite his mom and dad, then its assumable that he could pass on traits of his father that he didn't get. He is only a year old, so it isn't time for that yet, by the time he is ready, I will know more.Also understand its probly my fault. We treat him like a family member, table scraps sometimes, sleeps in the boys bed, stays inside on the couch when its hot. So I know I'm not helping, so maybe a dog trainer is what he will need.

As for the other questions, I would rely on the person with the female to be knowledgeable on that. I know nothing about breeding, so I'd have to depend on their knowledge. I can show you what I have, but I myself cannot decifer what it all means. Also, I'm sure plenty of you guys on here have a good amount of knowledge/experience and could help make that call. I agree with not breeding a dog that isn't able to be bread, so I will keep updating and let you all know how he is doing. I also don't mind anyone wanting to look at him that knows what to look for.

As for pups not being wanted, again I'd be relying on the other party to know if he should be bread, so that should alleviate that, like I said I have all his paperwork. I'm just not in it for profit. I want another dog, and would like to maybe trade a dog for good dog training if someone had that skill and wanted to do that, and I'm totally for paying it forward. Theres a lot of people who hunt, but may not be able to afford a dog, so with this forum being as big as it is, I'm sure we could find GOOD homes.

I appreciate all the insight, and you guys have been a big help and raised some good questions. Please feel free to ask as many questions as possible. All the input helps.This may turn out to be a good idea, or it may be determined that we should NOT do it, so thanks again.