Brother just got a custom 28 Nosler a last month. I have been trying to work up loads for our deer hunt in 2 weeks and it is giving me fits. I have never had this much problem.

Started with 175 ELDx and R25 and Retumbo. Best group I could get is 1 inch. For some people that is good enough, I won;t except that especially when the rifle is capable of much better. I have tried different depths from 3.250 all the way to 4.30 (barely fit in magazine). So I gave up on the ELDx

I did get it to group 150 Scirrocos under half inch with 85 grains of retumbo and a short bullet depth. That is what he is going to use.

Did not have time to work up anything with 160's.

What loads is anyone having any luck with. The only reason we tried ELDx is because that is what the manufacturer recommended. I have never been a Hornaday fan anyway was always partial to Swift and Nosler bullets.

With a big case like the 28 I wouldn't go below a 180 and the 195 Berger would be where I started with some H1000.

• Like 4

what is the barrel twist? is it fast enough to stabilize those heavy bullets?

No reason to build a 28 Nosler and not take advantage of it by shooting a light bullet. 175 & up for me. Even a 1:9" or 1:8.5" will be plenty to stabilize these.

180 Berger HVLD

180 Berger Hybrid

195 Berger EOL Elite Hunter

175 Sierra SGK

180 Sierra SMK

183 Sierra SMK

168 Barnes LRX

• Like 2

I have done some load work on a 7mmLRM with the 195s in a 26" 9 twist barrel and they stabilized just fine and shot really well. Based on Bergers twist rate calculator, my elevation, atmospherics and a muzzle velocity of 2850fps we are getting a SG of 1.48 which is right on the edge of marginal and comfortable and BC is only being compromised by 1%. The 28 Nosler has a bit more boiler room and should be able to run the 195s just fine.

• Like 1

I just tried the 195 bergers out of 7mm lrm using H1000, was little worried with a 1 in 9 twist but shot lights out posted 2953ffps with a 27 inch barrel .

I just tried the 195 bergers out of 7mm lrm using H1000, was little worried with a 1 in 9 twist but shot lights out posted 2953ffps with a 27 inch barrel .

Forgot to add the twist it is 1-8 and should shoot heavy bullets just fine. I have done a bunch of research over the years on harmonics as I was a huge skeptic. Not anymore as it does play a role and I think the ELDx just does not work with this rifle. I have burned 100 bullets and a pound and half of powder just playing the OAL. I was surprised the 150's grouped so well. But he will have to be careful with shots under 200 yards with that of a bullet. With that velocity the bullets will be exploding on impact.

He did pick up some Berger 175's we will play with after his hunt. H1000 and Retumbo are almost identical burn rates but I will try it and see if things improve. I have always had great success with Alliant powders but I was not impressed with the R25 in that rifle.

Have never used H1000 does it meter better than Retumbo. Retumbo is meters horrible.

Heavy....GO HEAVY!

RL33 is the powder for the 28 Nosler and the heavies.

183 SMK, 180 HVLD or Hybrid, 195 Elite Hunter, 197 SMK.

20180408_193013_zpsniigpeez.jpg

In the ridiculous 90* full value (12-19mph) winds this weekend, I still shot these groups with the 197 SMK.

3091fps average

20180414_080510_zpswwkqq1ag.jpg

3155fps average

20180414_080513_zpswvp1agis.jpg

Heavy....GO HEAVY!

RL33 is the powder for the 28 Nosler and the heavies.

183 SMK, 180 HVLD or Hybrid, 195 Elite Hunter, 197 SMK.

20180408_193013_zpsniigpeez.jpg

In the ridiculous 90* full value (12-19mph) winds this weekend, I still shot these groups with the 197 SMK.

3091fps average

20180414_080510_zpswwkqq1ag.jpg

3155fps average

20180414_080513_zpswvp1agis.jpg

Your getting me jealous lance ! Amazing.

I have a buddy that just got a custom 28 nosler and his builder told him to use 26 nosler brass to just use the 28 nosler neck resizer and resize the neck..... any body here do this he claims that they feed better....

Not sure how they would feed any better as they are the same case but yes you should be able to neck up 26 brass to 28 no problem. If anything you will have slightly less neck tension due to stretching out the neck from .264 to .284.

• Like 1