I messed up I think. My 257 was startin to lose accuracy because I had not cleaned it in awhile. So I decided to clean the 7mm Rem mag I was working with for my elk hunt too. I was shooting pretty well.

I fouled the the 257 and it shoots great again. The 7mm won't stay consistent though. Rounds it was shooting 1-1.25" groups with won't shoot 4" groups now. Nothing Else change Other Than Being cleaned. It's frustrating.

I guess the 257 is going elk hunting again. Unless I get this figured out quickly.

Harley

About 40 now in total

Check your action screws and scope screws. Clean barrel shouldn't cause a 4" group and it shouldn't take 40 shots to foul it.

Something else sounds off to me.

• Like 1

I bet it's sitting in the stock differently. Like kwp said, check action screws, barrel clearance and that the magazine box isn't binding up between the stock and action.

I concur with kwp, too much discrepancy to be caused by cleaning. Something else is going on. What are you using for a mounting system and scope?

Factory Ruger rings.

It is just odd because I didn't touch anything on the rifle beside cleaning it. I know cleaning only wouldn't do this but it was the only variable that changed. I am going to check the scope and go from there.

I don't believe so. I have switched to a 1 piece cleaning rod to help avoid this.

Did you remove the stock when you cleaned it? Also, check that there isn't solvent build up in the chamber.

The only thing removed was the bolt when I cleaned it. I didn't touch anything else. I am going to check the scope screws and stock screws and give it a shot again. I might take a box of factory ammo to check if it still doesn't work as I am only shooting my loads. I have never had a problem with my loads though.

I will check the chamber.