Cell4soul

Lightweight Build

Do you plan to use the H1000? Wouldn't that powder have too slow of a burn rate? I doubt you'd be anywhere close to compressed if you were only loading to Hodgdon's max charge weight. Their load data in the pic below shows their COL was only 2.825. Are you planning a 7 SAUM build?post-13685-0-29505500-1503280868_thumb.png

I'm debating a 6.5 saum or 7 saum. Hopefully my stw sells soon and I can get going. I've got a creedmoor so I feel a 7 saum would make sense. But I'm a big girl when it comes to recoil so the 6.5 saum 140-147 gn seems appealing. I've been losing sleep over this. I will do a dbm with either accurate or alpha mags

But with 147 eld and the new 155 coming out I see the 6.5 saum, or SS, being a fantastic all around rifle

Thank you sir

To keep it around 2.950 and h1000, would it be close to becoming a compressed load you think?

The Nosler website load data includes a load density % for the powder charge. They only list 3 powders, not H1000. I expect the book may list more powder choices. You might ask around and see If someone has the book.

I didn't find published data for the 7 SAUM with H1000 other than Hodgdon's website, none of my reloading manuals have load data. I can tell you my groups tightened up quite a bit going from H4831sc to H4350. I think the H4831sc is a little slower than the H4350, so I am guessing the H1000 would not work as well as some other choices.

I am surprised that 7 STW hasn't sold. I wanted to build a 6.5 SAUM also, but already having the 6.5 Creedmoor I went with the 7 SAUM. I will eventually build one, I am sure. My next rifle will probably be something in the .308 chambering, leaning towards the tried and true .300 Win Mag, but also considering .300 Norma Mag and 30 Nosler. I may have a rifle built in the hunting "off season", but thinking I may save that money to do an Audoad hunt or possibly an Alaska hunt.

• Like 1

Ah man. If I were in your shoes do an Alaska trip!! Awesome place. I went on a caribou hunt 10 years ago and can't wait to get back.

• Like 2

I ordered a piece of AR500 steel and built a target stand using cast iron pipe. I'll just have to keep my bullets off the pipe because I am sure the cast iron won't take a hit well. It'll be pretty easy to swap out any of the cast iron pieces if I do have a mishap.post-13685-0-53554800-1503415846_thumb.jpg

The new rifle performed great in Wyoming. One antelope shot at 330 yards with the antelope straight downwind, so no hold for wind. Second antelope at 533 yards with a 15-20 mph 90 degree cross wind. Bullet had a little over 2' of wind drift in that wind. I used StrelokPro to dial MOA.

I have a Leupold VX6 on this rifle, which comes with a free custom elevation dial. I ordered the dial before I left to Wyoming. It was delivered while I was gone on my hunt. I took it out last weekend to verify the accuracy of the dial. I shot it out to 633 yards. Shots were about 1.5" high at 633 yards, so I think the dial will work at least to that distance. Should save me a step out in the field and eliminate the need for my cell phone and the StrelokPro. I just need to practice more shots in the wind.

Congrats where are the pics

I never took pics. Antelope tags were doe only. The first one shot at 330 dropped in her tracks. My buddy went back to get my truck while I went to the antelope to start gutting her. When I crested the small ridge I spotted the herd and dropped to the ground so they wouldn't spot me. My buddy pulled up close in my truck and I waived him down to stop. The herd was feeding up a hill. I waited til they crested the hill and went over, out of sight. My buddy gutted my antelope kill while I put the stalk on the herd. I almost had a shot 2 different times, but was busted both times on the stalk. They finally pushed into private land and I had to end the stock about 1 mile away from the first kill. The day was running short. We decided to drive out to get the first antelope to the processor before they closed. We figured if we saw another herd on the way out I would put a stalk on and whack one. We saw a herd about 5 minutes into our drive out. They were at 740 yards and really no easy way to put a stalk on. There was a cattle gate in the road with a fence line that ran towards the the herd. My buddy and I just walked the fence line straight towards the herd, banging the fence periodically hoping they would just see us as ranchers. We closed the gap to 533 yards and couldn't get closer without disturbing the herd as there was another cattle gate we would have needed to go through. Wind was blowing pretty hard, guessing 15-20 mph. I used StrelokPro to dial elevation. My buddy called the wind and suggested holding on the antelope's butt. I used my backpack for a solid rest laying prone. I let the bullet fly and the antelope dropped in its tracks. The bullet hit about 1" behind the shoulder and about 1" high of where is was intending. The antelope dropped in her tracks, never took a step.

• Like 2