Sign in to follow this  
GreeneMachine

My First Buck...

....ok, well not really. But maybe my favorite!

Got him on our first evening out. 560 yds with a 7mm, 168 berger vld. This round leaves holes...of the large variety!!

Big thanks to my coues slaying brochacho, Mr. Long. Couldn't have done this one without you! We'll laugh at this one looking back at it years from now.

post-6254-0-24905900-1477365152_thumb.gif

• Like 13

Nice stud buck!!

How big was the hole? I'm bringing my 7mm Rem Mag with the 168gr VLD as my back up gun, for my November Coues hunt (just in case it gets windy or something).

How big was the hole? I'm bringing my 7mm Rem Mag with the 168gr VLD as my back up gun, for my November Coues hunt (just in case it gets windy or something).

It's probably about golf ball size. Maybe slightly bigger. But it seems to do it every time. My hunting buddy and his wife have used it for 2 years and every animal has the same hole. Entry and exit holes are solid every time. I was using an accubond for years and the hole it created is nothing like this VLD. Almost lost a 100" deer because the accubond was going straight threw deer with hardly any damage, no blood trail. The VLD damages. I'll take the chance of meat damage over a lost deer all day.

• Like 2

I have been a part of 6 big game hunts since switching to a berger on the reccomendation of a very well known guide who frequents this site. My complaint was meat loss, etc. His response was would you rather lose an animal or a little meat? Talking bullets is like talking broad heads......everyone has an opinion. Shot placement....etc etc etc. With that being said I have either shot or been a part of 6 big game animals, one being an elk, shot with the VLD and each one of them had a hole in them about the size of plum or bigger. I can PM pics if you want to see. No tracking required when you hit them hard with a VLD.

Great Buck J. Glad I was there, mostly.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yeah any pictures would be awesome. I like the VLD. I've personally taken a deer and an elk with them now, and they both hit the dirt right there. I have a 95 gr VLD Classic for my 243 which I planned on using for this hunt. But I also have my 7mm with the 168 gr VLD that I'm very confident in as well. I'm almost thinking of using the 7mm on my coues hunt so I can practice some more with it, so I'll be even more ready for my late rifle bull hunt. I was just worried that it might be too big for coues.

Eye guards for days! :o