I have been trying to convince myself for years to go whack some coyotes. I just can't seem to figure out what to do with them after I kill em'. Now call me yella, but I just have a hard time killing an animal I'm not going to eat. I think if I had more info on how they effect a deer herd it would put me over this hump. Thx for your input.

Rich

Rich,

2 years ago I had a coyote chase a full grown whitetail doe under my treestand. He was maybe 20 yds behind her in some thicker manzanita type country. I've also heard a whitetail fawn screaming as a coyote drug it away from it's mom, as I got closer to look, I watched as that fawns mother chased that coyote away. I doubt the fawn made it though. Just witnessing those couple of instances lead me to believe that Yotes play more of an effect on deer than we think. I understand your point of view though on just killing to kill and agree to some degree.

Skin'em and sell'um!! ;) I have to admit that I have seen a few that have been left to rot.... not by me of course... :D ... But, I grew up trapping and have no problem with caring for hides if they are prime. No money in them any more, but it is fun none the less. ;)

its too much fun we been calling all week down south we took today off.. we shot 13 dogs and two bobcats in three days.... nothing better then going out and havin fun with friends.... but be carefull it gets very additcing

You should pick up Predator Xtreme! This months issue will help you change your thinking on passing on those cute little critters! If I remember, read the article on page 2 or 3 that is by Ralph Lermayer. I never pass on a chance to take out coyotes. I have seen like others what they can do first hand. Skining is a great idea as long as the pelt is good, Oct to Feb! If you need more info contact one of the couple Varmit Clubs in the state, Phoenix Varmit Callers Inc, and Arizona Predator Callers. I know theirs more clubs that I am not thinking of.

Here are a few links to check out:

http://www.predatorxtreme.com/index2.asp

http://www.pvci.org/pvci/index.htm

http://www.azpredatorcallers.com/

Any of those sites will be able in one way or another answer your questions and be able to help you out!

Ben

For the past week on my archery elk hunt, I witnessed the largest pack of yotes that I have ever seen. This pack actually stalked the elk calves and yearlings in the heards that we were around. While I was there, they managed to catch two of them throughout the week and killed them. If it wasn't so far away from home, I'd go back during this winter to get a few yotes. For a good pelt nowadays you can get 30-40 bucks out of it during the season.

30-40 bucks out here. Is that in northern arizona or across the state? I doubt southern arizona coyotes get 30 bucks. I grew up in the northeast hunting and trapping them and they were heavy coats and they would fetch 40 for a good one. I'm curious cus I would like to get back into predator hunting

Hunting in the desert You can always shoot them and then chack out how good your shot was, then let nature do the rest! Up north they aren't starving to death they are fat!!

Coyote prices are up from what they were just a few years ago, I am south of Tucson and coyotes from last season averaged out at $29.50 for the desert dogs. I do leave any that are mange or do not have a full belly. The high price for our dogs was $53.00 and the low price was $18.00. So it does pay to skin them. Once you get the hang of things only will take you a few minutes to skin one. If you or anyone need any help let me know. I trapped for over 25 years I did get fairly good at skinning and putting up fur. I still take and save hides until I have a few then take them all to a do it yourself laundry mat and wash them and add a dash of fabric softener this will brighten them up so they grade higher. I ship all furs to North America Fur because you get top dollar at the auctions,

AzTrapper

Coyote prices are up from what they were just a few years ago, I am south of Tucson and coyotes from last season averaged out at $29.50 for the desert dogs. I do leave any that are mange or do not have a full belly. The high price for our dogs was $53.00 and the low price was $18.00. So it does pay to skin them. Once you get the hang of things only will take you a few minutes to skin one. If you or anyone need any help let me know. I trapped for over 25 years I did get fairly good at skinning and putting up fur. I still take and save hides until I have a few then take them all to a do it yourself laundry mat and wash them and add a dash of fabric softener this will brighten them up so they grade higher. I ship all furs to North America Fur because you get top dollar at the auctions,

AzTrapper

What kind of prep work is needed before you ship them? How exactly does it work? Do you ship a bunch of raw hides and wait to see what they get at auction? Im just interested. Thanks

AzTrapper

What kind of prep work is needed before you ship them? How exactly does it work? Do you ship a bunch of raw hides and wait to see what they get at auction? Im just interested. Thanks

You have to of course skin them, flesh them if it is needed and dry them. Then ship them and yes you wait until the auction to what they bring, thats part of the fun so to speak the unknown or prices. You can get more detail on fur handling at the National trappers Assoc. web site or the Arizona Trappers Assoc. web site, Most calling clubs also have information about fur handling. Sportmans Warehouse does have a few fur stretchers in thier stores I would for calling get at least 2-number 6 1 number 5 and 1- number 4 That will allow you sto put up everything from fox to coyotes the right way. You don't really want to stretch the fur just pull it "tight" so it drys correct. With bobcats you really want to do them right as it can effect the prices a LOT. I am in sounthern Arizona and with prices going to be higher this year saving fur is well worth the time. Bobcats from around here can go for as high as 500.00 dollars each with most in the 300.00 dollar range. and Coyotes in the 30.00 and grey fox 30.00 as well. so a few animals will buy a new rifle or pay for a fishing or hunting trip.

AzTrapper

30-40 bucks out here. Is that in northern arizona or across the state? I doubt southern arizona coyotes get 30 bucks. I grew up in the northeast hunting and trapping them and they were heavy coats and they would fetch 40 for a good one. I'm curious cus I would like to get back into predator hunting

Well I am south of Tucson and Southern Arizona Coyotes will bring $30.00 and more. You grew up around fur so you should know that eastern coyotes do not bring as much as western dogs. Southern Texas Bobcats most of the time sell for less that $150.00 each and the last I knew Kanasa Bobcats didn't do that well. Color and other things effect the price as well. Most coyotes from back east may have heavy fur but is course and not soft like ours.

AzTrapper