Sign in to follow this  
fuentestm

what is the most effective way to bowhunt coues?

What do you all feel is the most effective way to bowhunt coues deer? Would it be to hang a treestand and salt the area, set up a blind on a waterhole, or spot and stalk? I think spot and stalk would be the most rewarding way but also the toughest.

I am not a bow hunter (yet) but my impression would be to sit a watering spot or a saddle that appears to have alot of traffic to and from bedding areas. I am too old and creaky boned to imagine I could sneak up crawling accross cactus to stick one, I would spook them.............

The most successful bowhunters for Coues I know use a tree stand or blind. However I believe Chuck Adams spot and stalked that world record coues that he killed with his bow.

I personally don't like tree stands, so I use a blind at a water hole or spot and stalk. I have stalked pretty darn close to Coues bucks, but never successfully shot one with my bow. Spot and stalk is easiest in a juniper woodland where you have a lot of visual obstacles to block your path. And the ground isn't quite as noisy as in the lower deserts. I think spot and stalk Coues with a bow would be the ultimate challenge. One that I will accomplish one of these years!

Amanda :D

Guest jeff in NM

In response to the initial message posted about the most effective means of bowhunting Coues deer. I don't know if baiting with salt is illegal in AZ, but is certainly is unethical in my view. I know it is not legal in NM. My favorite way of bowhunting coues deer is stillhunting. The mountain vegetation in the area I hunt is not conducive to spot-and-stalk. The ponderosa pine/mixed conifer forest, along with the steep narrow canyons, do not allow for glassing more than say, 100yards on average. I know the method I use is not the most productive, but it is the most enjoyable to me. I just love being in the deep woods with my braced recurve in hand. I walk the game trails very slowly, continually scanning my surroundings. Every once in a while, I will spot a Coues deer before he spots me. I certainly see more game when I sit my tree stands, but it is hard for me to stay focused and up the tree. I know one tree stand hunter who tells me he is up in his stand at least one-half hour before first light, and doesn't come down before three in the afternoon. He feels the last couple of hours of light each day are better spent preparing for tomorrows hunt. I consider this individual one the most knowledgeable Coues bowhunters around...even though he lives in Minnesota. He has been traveling to SW NM to hunt Coues for years now.

Using salt is not cosidered baiting in Az. therefore it is legal. Whether it is ethical or not I guess it would be up to the individual. Using salt is very common in Az. I know many bowhunters who use it and I consider them responsible, ethical hunters.

If I assume by best you mean most productive, then treestanding for Coues is by far the best way to fill your tag during archery season. You'll generally see alot more animals when using the spot-n-stalk method, but the success rate goes down. If you've never hunted from a treestand, the first thing to learn is that its all about location. Salt or mineral licks are not a place that I consider to be the most productive, especially during the rut. Bucks seem to ignore them once the rut kicks in. During the early season, water is the key. However, I don't like to set up right on the water. I don't like to be interupted by other hunters during my hunt, plus the animals aren't nearly as spooked. I like to scout out the area around the water and find the trails leading to and from. I put my stand a couple of hundred yards away from the water along a good trail. When the rut kicks in, I scout out ridge tops, saddles and transition areas looking for good, active scrape lines. Check out trails in that area for a good location. The second thing about treestanding is patience!! I recommend staying put all day! This is where you think back to the location you picked. If you know you did your homework (scouting) properly, then sooner or later you'll have the oppurtunity to connect on a buck, but only if you're there when he shows up! I agree somewhat with the earlier posting about skipping the last couple of hours of daylight. If you're hunting near water, then stay until dark. Most of my successful hunts ended somewhere between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm. Coues seem to move alot during the middle of the day, especially during the later hunts

I too believe the most effective method to taking a Coues Deer would be using a tree stand or ground blind. Obviously the most rewarding would be the spot and stalk method. But no matter which method is used or preferred, a Coues Deer taken with the bow and arrow is at the top of this hunters list as the best trophy animal.

Arizona Griz.

I have not taken one with a bow, and am humbled each time I see someone with a coues buck killed with a bow. I am going to try ground blinds this year while scouting for the rifle hunt. I saw a bit of a pattern when the bucks were in velvet and I want to capitalize on their mistakes. I would love to arrow a coues buck.................Allen......

Jeff in NM, you must be talking about Dave Boland of course. That guy has more patience than any Coues hunter I know. He was sitting a nearby stand, where I killed my first Coues with a bow, when I shot my 105" buck back in Sept of '99. I was glad he was there with me cause I know he appreciated what I killed as much as I did. I've been lucky enough to harvest two of those little suckers with my bow so far but I have yet to have taken one with hardened antlers. I have tried hunting them in Dec/Jan with a bow but have never connected yet. I did find one heck of a drainage filled with scrapes, rubs and 4 sheds in unit 31 this past January. You can bet your caboose I'll be sitting there this coming January.

Josh

Guest jeff inNM

Josh, I am indeed referring to Dave Boland (my brothers and I call him Minnesota Dave). Dave is a great guy and has taught me a lot about hunting Coues deer. He journeys to NM every winter to pursue the elusive Coues deer. Ever hunt NM for Coues? Come on out sometime, we have a lot of untapped areas. Deer tags in NM are either species. This is something I hope to get changed some day. Our Mule deer are really hurting, but the Coues deer seem to be doing fine, and maybe even expanding their range somewhat. I have never taken a velvet Coues, but plan on attemting it early next September while scouting for elk. One area where I hunt elk has good numbers of Coues deer...In the semi-open ponderosa forest!!!

Jeff, I've never hunted NM for archery Coues but I have taken one with a rifle back in 99 in unit 23. Talking to Dave after his time in NM really gets me going. If I could find the time that time of year I'd love to! Even though the southern AZ boys don't like to hear this, the biggest Coues bucks are going to be killed in the pine forests. Archers just need to concentrate a little harder in those areas and they'll see. Just cause you can't glass the area to see what's there doesn't mean there isn't anything.

Josh

Guest jeff in NM

Josh, or anyone else with info. I am contemplating bowhunting AZ next year for Coues deer. I hunted AZ several year's ago for about a 4-5 year stretch. At the time I was not particular about what species I took. I hunted Unit 27 on the Apache-Sitgreaves NF around Three Way, and up around the Blue River. Anybody know how the hunting is in 27 these days? What I liked about Unit 27 is that there was a lot of public land, good deer numbers, and few hunters. It was also very convenient for me, as it is adjacent to the NM line. I ahve seen several good Coues bucks in the unit. Thanks for any help. Jeff

Guest AZJeff

Jeff I have hunted some in 27 and 28, also 31 and 32 which are also excellent Coues units.

I'd like to talk to you about Coues in NM. Ive hunted there before (with Josh Epperson and another friend). email me at wsgfalls@yahoo.com

I too have yet to connect with an arrow. Been trying for several years but each time out I get more and more humbled. I agree with coues hunter... I'm in awe with those that have taken one. Especially filling their tag via spot and stalk, which by the way is the only method I have used. Hence why I've not filled a tag yet.

Some day I will. Even if it's just a little guy, he'll be mounted and proudly displayed on my wall. :huh:

cmc

In My opinion the spot & stalk is the most productive method. However stands & blinds have there place & time. Having taken a number of these little guys over the years, most of them with Bow & Arrow I have found that they are not an habitual animal. Each area you hunt will be unique. Some areas might be more consistant than others, but in all areas these Deer are driven by two things food & water. They live in a enviroment that is constantly changing and they have to move and adapt in order to survive. If you bait or salt these guys in an area that has no natural food source or a food source that is being depleated, they will move or have moved to a new area. The same goes for water. in some areas if you set a stand on water that is covered in tracks and come back a week later during the season the Deer may have moved to a better food source and are watering elsewhere.

As the hunter you have to adapt as well. Use what method you think will be the most productive for the situation.