Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Delorme vs Cell Phone vs GPS

Cell phone apps have pretty much replaced handheld GPS. Screen quality and functionality is way better on a smartphone. Most apps allow maps to be downloaded to be used without cell signal. Biggest hurdle is battery life on your phone

To handle the battery life hurdle, I carry a portable charging device and cable. I'm able to fully charge my phone from dead to 100% 3x. It has 10000mAh. Also, make sure you're on airplane mode while out there to lessen the drain on the battery. GPS works on airplane mode.

Same here. I have the Photive Bolt that has 9000mAh to charge all my devices. It's drop proof and water resistant, and was only $40 on Amazon. I would like to pick up one of the Dark Energy units though. Slightly more power, seems more rugged and they are a hunting based company that I would like to support.

I have a 20,000 mha battery with built in photo voltaic charger. I leave on the dash in cold weather and have yet to run it all the way down. I can charge my phone and steri pen at night and I'm good to go by morning.

Howdy CWT amigos,

I just upgraded my android phone, and am considering keeping the old one strictly for navigation using On-X or something similar.  I plan  to use the new phone for Avenza maps, and keep the old one just for GPS, since it doesn't have a SIM card, and won't do anything without wifi.  But I should  be  able to put in a memory card and download On-X maps and use as a GPS, since that doesn't require wifi or mobile network, only open sky - or am I missing something?

I also have a Garmin GPS, but thought it would be really neat to salvage the old phone for use with On-X.

Appreciate help from all  the phone and GPS gurus on this forum.

forepaw 

Steve,

you should be able to download onx on the old phone at home with wifi. Any areas you want to have on that phone you have to download that area for. Just having onx wont work unless you do this.  Then in onx you switch to airplane mode.  

Doing onx on a back up phone is a good idea. I've found when I have map downloads on my regular cell it would make my phone kind of glitchy so I would only do it right before a hunt.  Btw, you can also do the same thing on a tablet to. I do that before kids hunts and just keep it in the hunting rig.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Steve,

you should be able to download onx on the old phone at home with wifi. Any areas you want to have on that phone you have to download that area for. Just having onx wont work unless you do this.  Then in onx you switch to airplane mode.  

Doing onx on a back up phone is a good idea. I've found when I have map downloads on my regular cell it would make my phone kind of glitchy so I would only do it right before a hunt.  Btw, you can also do the same thing on a tablet to. I do that before kids hunts and just keep it in the hunting rig.  

Thanks Kev.  I knew you would have something useful.  Good info!