Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Delorme vs Cell Phone vs GPS

So I'm about to pull the trigger on the delorme in reach explorer. I also have a Garmin 62s. I was hoping to lose the gps but after doing some research the explorer only shows a track you pre set at home which I'm not thrilled about. I will always have a cell phone with me even with no service. Should I just man up and carry all three, or are some of the cell phone apps worth having to replace the gps altogether? Almost everywhere I hunt there will be no cell signal. Any opinions on cell phone apps and what they cost would be appreciated.

The other side of this is that I read that Garmin bought out delorme, should I just wait another year assuming that they will introduce a version of the in reach that will have a legit gps in it already?

I hunt and back pack in areas with no cell service. My phones gps works perfectly with out cell service.

Cell phone apps have pretty much replaced handheld GPS. Screen quality and functionality is way better on a smartphone. Most apps allow maps to be downloaded to be used without cell signal. Biggest hurdle is battery life on your phone

Guest akaspecials

Look up Earthmate. I'm pretty sure it works as a gps app from your phone that links in with the Delorme. I use a delorme and paper maps these days. You won't regret the Delorme purchase.

Personally, I follow the two is one and one is none school of thought when it pertains to critical gear. In this instance particularly, each has its own benefit. I have a DeLorme InReach Explorer, Garmin Oregon 600 and my good ol' iphone. My phone takes pictures, gives me some tunes, pairs with the DeLorme and lets me make calls to and from the hunting area. The Garmin is a specialized GPS device that lets me plan out my path and my trip and has the best mapping information. The DeLorme is probably the most important to me, as it lets me wife sleep easy and puts my nerves to rest as well. I have gone through 2 ACL tears on my right knee, so anytime I am out for an extended time in the backwoods fear of injury is real for my wife and I. That device gives me the ability to have a direct line to search and rescue and my wife. You can text people through the device. On top of all that, I always have a map and compass with me as well. Overkill? Probably, but it will only be overkill right up to that moment I need it. I also carry a backup battery that charges all three and plan to get a solar panel soon.

• Like 3

I have a gps phone app and Garmin glo. It work well but battery life is so so. I carry a back up gps in case I run out of battery

I have the Earthmate app on my phone, along with the Delorme, a Garmin 62s and back up battery. Plus my compass. My adventures are not yet to the point of needing a solar panel, but that will come in time.

And I always have a plan on what direction to head should I need to exfil an area. Tons of ways to tell direction without any of the above as long as you know ahead of time which way to head. Just knowing which way to head to a major road or body of water can save your life. And when all else fails, and in most parts of the world, downhill leads to a drainage, drainage to a creek, creek to a river and a river to people. Even if they are not the kind of people you want to know you are there, where there are people there are supplies to keep you alive and back to safer places.

I carry a 2-way radio with a scanner so I can contact other people or friends with a channel pre determined. And extra batteries.

Look up Earthmate. I'm pretty sure it works as a gps app from your phone that links in with the Delorme. I use a delorme and paper maps these days. You won't regret the Delorme purchase.

I know they link together but is earthmate an actual gps app like Gaia or one of the others?

I'm looking into the In Reach. Looks like a good idea after reading your post

Is it a monthly fee???

I'm completely sold on it but it would be awesome if it could be integrated into one unit. Theres a bunch of plans. The cheapest is like 15$ or so month to month or like 12$ with a contract. That's a pretty good deal.

I have no idea why or how but I use my phone for all my maps and GPS. I down load all areas of interest before I leave and it has never let me down until this past month on the strip...the GPS never picked me up even though the maps were there...it worked before and after without service but didn't there...time to start carrying my Garmin again..

Cell phone apps have pretty much replaced handheld GPS. Screen quality and functionality is way better on a smartphone. Most apps allow maps to be downloaded to be used without cell signal. Biggest hurdle is battery life on your phone

To handle the battery life hurdle, I carry a portable charging device and cable. I'm able to fully charge my phone from dead to 100% 3x. It has 10000mAh. Also, make sure you're on airplane mode while out there to lessen the drain on the battery. GPS works on airplane mode.

how can you save waypoints on your phone? i havent figured that out

If you click on the map a pin pops up. If you select that it gives you a few options, one of which is "New Waypoint".