Zeke-BE

CWT group effort Wildcat Rifle build

Well its been many weeks since I shot my rifle last in January. Im still in load development but with javelina hunt, sickness, bad weather, and crazy work I still haven't finish a load yet. ELD-x bullets really don't like to group for me on this rifle. Only if its right at 3000 fps can I get 1/2" groupings. I switched it to Bergers 140 HVLD on H-1000 but at full capacity of powder I would hit 3,200 fps. Tried a side option 3 shot grouping from that powder and got 1" MOA at 3200 fps but still looking for that 1/2 if I can.

Went out today and fought off 2 rattlesnakes and did a ladder test on a different powder H4831 OAL 2.666 140 grain berger Hybrid

From 320 yards

post-12761-0-23974200-1491689761_thumb.jpg

My first 3 shots were 0.828" at 320 yards, thats 0.258" MOA ---Wow!!! Looking good so far for just a ladder test

1-58 grain shot 3038 fps

2-58.5 grain 3138

3- 59 grain 3158

Then it jumped up as you can see on the picture to a new grouping, ending up being 2.195" or 0.685" MOA for the second group. It would of been nice to see it closer to the first group.

4th 59.5 grain shot 3187 fps

5- 60 grain 3236

6-60.5 grain 3224 pressure slightly creator on primer but nothing to much to worry about just yet

7-61 grain 3265 (i could smell it right away that I blew a primer) Sticky bolt and primer pop out. Usually I can see the primer creator noticeable and I would stop but there was a big difference between 60.5 and 61 grains.

But over all this is some of the best groupings I've seen with those velocity's. So Im going to work on shot # 2, 3 and 5 and see what I can get. I really wanted to be shooting those ELD's but Berger Hybrids are shooting nice with this H4831.

And for those who are saying don't worry about the velocity just pick the best groupings. Well this rifle was a .270 and I had it at 3,000 fps at .80" MOA. There is no point to have a 6.5-270 AI 26" barrel shooting at the same speed then a standard tikka 22" barrel .270. The goal is to get a close 1/2 grouping cruising at 3150-3200 fps

Have you tried H1000 yet? I worked up the load for my friends .270 for his sheep hunt. With a 140 grain bullet H1000 beat H4831 by over 100 fps. I would think it should perform very well in your 6.5.

Have you tried H1000 yet? I worked up the load for my friends .270 for his sheep hunt. With a 140 grain bullet H1000 beat H4831 by over 100 fps. I would think it should perform very well in your 6.5.

Funny!!! The exact opposite for me

I tried many powders when I developed the 140 gr load for my lightweight 7mm-08 AI. There were some real surprises during the testing. I'm sure the 20 inch barrel was responsible for some of them. I am getting ready to start powder testing with 168 gr bullets for an elk load. The bullets have been on the shelf for over 4 years. I normally hunt elk archery so it hasn't been a high priority. I checked the Hodgdon site for 7mm-08 data and Hybrid 100V showed the highest velocity. Interestingly, it also shows the highest velocity for 140 gr bullets in a 6.5-06. Have you tried it yet?

I tried many powders when I developed the 140 gr load for my lightweight 7mm-08 AI. There were some real surprises during the testing. I'm sure the 20 inch barrel was responsible for some of them. I am getting ready to start powder testing with 168 gr bullets for an elk load. The bullets have been on the shelf for over 4 years. I normally hunt elk archery so it hasn't been a high priority. I checked the Hodgdon site for 7mm-08 data and Hybrid 100V showed the highest velocity. Interestingly, it also shows the highest velocity for 140 gr bullets in a 6.5-06. Have you tried it yet?

I have not yet. Going to see what H4831 does first. I have high hopes for it

What about RL22 or RL23? I know RL22 works great in my .25-06AI pushing 115s to 3400+, with other loads close to 3500, but not as accurate. RL23 is similar, and much more temp stable.

• Like 1

What about RL22 or RL23? I know RL22 works great in my .25-06AI pushing 115s to 3400+, with other loads close to 3500, but not as accurate. RL23 is similar, and much more temp stable.

Never thought of RL22 or 23. It would be great if I can get my 4th and 5th shot to group in my next 3 shot grouping with close and exceeding 3200 fps I would be happy. Even if I can get a load with this Ill still try out velocity with RL23 and hybrid 100V which I haven't heard of.

I spent a little time trying to learn a little more about Hybrid 100V. From the Hodgdon site...

Hodgdon Powder offers the largest selection of quality smokeless propellants for any reloading application. Hodgdon HYBRID 100V is the result of combining the technologies of spherical powders and extruded propellants. The chemistry of a spherical powder is combined with the geometry of an extruded propellant, creating a smooth-metering, super short granule extruded shaped propellant with high energy. HYBRID 100V has a burn speed between H4350 and H4831, yeilding superb performance in such popular calibers as 270 Winchester, 243 Winchester Super Short Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, 300 Winchester Magnum and dozens more.

On shooting and reloading sites opinions on the powder vary. Quite a few claims of increased velocity over other powders the shooter had used. A number of users do feel it may be a bit temperature sensitive while others don't. Opinions on accuracy are divided. Then, what powder does everyone agree on? Sounds like one of those "you just have to try it for yourself" deals. I'm trying to pick out 3 to 5 powders to try for 168 gr loads for the 7mm-08 AI and will probably include it. One of these years NM will not send me my money back and I will need a elk load for the rifle.

I've never had problems finding speed or accuracy from Rl-22. Getting 3475 to 3525 fps & 1/2 moa from 3 270 WSM's and a 130 Swift Scirocco. Also sub 1/4 moa from a 22-250 AI and the 80gr Vld @ 3450 fps.

• Like 3

So with the RL 22 I heard its temp sensitive. This entirely means what exactly ??

It means you lose velocity the colder the temp and gain velocity the warmer the temp. They say around 1fps per degree of temp. Rl-23 is supposed to be the temp stable Rl-22

• Like 1

So RI 23 is the same as 22 but temp stable? Why use 22 then?

Rl-23 is a new powder. I haven't had much chance to mess with it yet. Also the temp stability of Rl-22 hasn't been an issue to me.

I have a great load in my .25-06AI using RL22. So good I have not had the desire to work up a new load. If you have a fairly broad velocity difference in your accuracy node, 40fps changes won't affect POI when temps change if you work right in the middle.

I can definitely vouch for the 1fps per 1° temp swing. I go from 3365 to 3445fps between 30°F & 110°F. But since I rarely hunt with that rifle when temps are above 90°, I have a speed swing of about 60fps. Which is still in my accuracy node, so POI shifts very little out to 600 yards. Especially since my load work was done @ 50°F, meaning for anything other than maybe a desert antelope hunt (That I can't draw a tag for any way), 95% of my hunting ranges between 30° to 70°. My baseline for ballistics is 3395fps with the 115 Berger HVLD, so I am good with the swings. My ballistic program is also set up up with the 1fps per 1°, so it can account for the slight changes.

• Like 1