Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Found a small NA Camp

Guest oneshot

Only about 10 grinding holes in this spot, 3 on this one stone...

saw javi's Coues and Mule deer this morning, no shots...

post-1378-0-97434300-1482780217_thumb.jpg

post-1378-0-23245500-1482780232_thumb.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but what did they use these holes for?

Grinding beans and seed.
  • Like 1

Always a cool find.

Never ceases to amaze me. I'll find a great hunting location with a view, look down and there's a lithic scatter of stone where an ancient hunter made his weapons of the day while enjoying the same panorama I am now.

• Like 7

That's cool. When I'm off the beaten path I always want to think I'm the first person stepping on this patch of ground but that's not likely.

• Like 2

Guest oneshot

Never ceases to amaze me. I'll find a great hunting location with a view, look down and there's a lithic scatter of stone where an ancient hunter made his weapons of the day while enjoying the same panorama I am now.

Walking across one of our corn fields(NY) after a day of rifle hunting, I was busting chops with a guy who missed 2bucks that day, I always look for arrowheads in this field. I saw the base of a point sticking up, pulled it out, and it was complete,except for an impact fracture on the tip!!! (meaning it was either shot and hit a bone or a miss and hit the ground)...

I tried to give it the guy with " Hey, dont feel bad, some NA hunted here about 3000years ago, and he couldnt hit chit either!!!"

I still have that point somewhere hahaha...

This is true for good backwoods camping spots as well. If you like it, others likely did as well.

Great find! are those the Sierrita foothills in the backgound of your photo? Those who have hunted the Kofas and elsewhere around Yuma probably also have seen similar boulders with multiple matate holes. Whenever I came across them, I could visualize several women and their kids getting together for a morning of gossip while grinding their beans. My best find came in the early 1960s, when we still could hunt anywhere on the White Mountain Apache Reservation. I was hunting bears on a ridge that ran from below Grasshopper to the Salt River when I found a cliff dwelling that still had matates, manos and pottery chards all over the cliff's floor. Other dwellings I'd seen in that area had numbers archeologists had painted over the main door and this one had no numbers. I was certain I was the first to see the place in a hundred years or more until I found an empty Diet Pepsi can in a corner on the second floor! It was an amazing place. I published a couple of photos of it in "60 Years A Hunter." I never saw it again. When I returned 10-15 years later with my son-in-law, the old road I'd used to reach the area had been rerouted and we couldn't find it. Today, the region is closed to non-tribal members. == Bill Quimby

Guest oneshot

The Santa Rita's are my stomping grounds Bill... an interesting fact is the higher in elevation,for the area, the older the site. Prominent peaks/ridge lines are natural defensive positions against man and beast...

The smaller NA camps hold more interest for me because, like the ancient hunters, I'm also just passing through...

We have many spots around home. One that has peaked my interest has multiple rounds holes 8-12 inches deep and 6 inches ish in diameter. No rhyme or reason to hint a layout for poles for a structure of sort. They are close to other grinding matates that are the normal ones.