Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

Craving that salt

Not sure what other serious hunters see, but I always here "hunters" saying that deer don't hit salt in the winter... Since I got serious about putting trail cams on salt licks several years ago, I can now say that more bucks hit salt licks in December and January than in August/September.

Here is just a sample...

post-565-0-96919700-1486250868_thumb.jpg

post-565-0-46053600-1486250872_thumb.jpg

post-565-0-99175700-1486250875_thumb.jpg

post-565-0-55323400-1486250879_thumb.jpg

post-565-0-17416100-1486250883_thumb.jpg

post-565-0-61681600-1486250886_thumb.jpg

post-565-0-84411400-1486250889_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Ive mostly worked trailcams in 27 and 24b, two vastly different units. In both it seemed like the activity dropped off considerably after the rain started, but I only ran cameras yearlong a couple times. After I had a few get 'rehomed' during the rifle hunts, I had to admit that my secret spots were not so secret after all and started taking them down after the early archery hunts.

I did notice that coues deer definetely are more dedicated to them then muleys. Ive seen it year after year in 27, you can have muleys all over them through the spring and into summer, but once the does break up the herd and drop their fawns, the bucks vanish into thin air. It took me a few years to figure out that this is because I was in the nursery and nature has programmed the bucks to skidaddle and leave that area to the does and their fawns. Coues deer do not do that.

I am seeing coues and pigs on my salt this winter.

I think it depends on the area? Some of my salts gets hammered year round where as others are mainly in the summer months.

We picked up a camera today that we've had out since August, the Coues deer were killing it until the snow started to fly then the Mulies took it over.

I think they will take lick anytime they find salt or any mineral no matter the season. Are the bucks that are hitting your salt in winter the same bucks as summer?