Sign in to follow this  
Viper

What is recommended rings/bases for Vortex Viper 44mm on Rem 700 LA?

Don't over think it. It's easy to do. Here's a solid choice with out over complicating your rifle.

Dnz game reaper#30700 Remington 700 30mm long action

DNZ 30700T Remington 700 Tactical Long Action Scope Tube, 30mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4CSTL8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RJoMybN372KM3

Thanks! This looks like the simpler way to go. Should be a solid setup with less attachment points. They also have a 20 moa version.

So, is aluminum ok? I would think if you have steel rings, you would want a steel base to prevent damage to the softer base. Also, is the different expansion/contraction properties (CTE) of steel receiver vs aluminum base/rings worth considering? I do want to keep weight down, but how much weight difference is there between steel and Al?...ounces, right?

I would like to keep total cost under $150...preferably under $100. But I don't want a weak setup either. The options are mind boggling.

There are many grades of aluminum, from recycled beer can to stuff that is used on military aircraft. Aluminum is not always soft. I used to do side jobs fabricating prototypes for military R&D contracts and have seen aluminum used as ballistic armor.

As far as expansion / contraction with different metals the parts have been mixed on rifles for years with good results. You are not experiencing huge temperature variations like you would in something like a turbine engine. Regardless of what attaches them you are still mounting an aluminum scope to a steel receiver.

Ounces add up fast. 4 oz is 1/4 lb.

• Like 1

They do but, you'll only need 20 moa to get to 800 and that scope is a 75moa of adjustment

What height do I need for the 44mm scope?

I would either do some measuring or use Amazon. Or both lol A 44 obj on a 30mm, without measuring the gun and checking the barrel profile I would start with a medium.

• Like 1

I installed a DNZ mount for a guy on a rifle and mounted his scope. Scope was a Swarovski X5i. I believe the mount was a 30mm low? The turret Bell hit the mount cross bridge, so I called the customer. I had to mill the mount just a touch in the center to get the scope to set in the rings correctly. So just be aware of that possible issue. Other than that, they are nice. But mounting length is limited depending on length of tube on your scope.

A Picatinny rail and rings give you a bit more flexibility for eye relief and moving a scope forward or backwards. Especially nice if your rifle gets used by other people. I move my scopes back one notch for my daughter on her hunts, and it has never changed zero.

I have also had to mill down the top of a Picatinny rail for a turret housing to clear with low rings too, so don't think it is just the DNZ mount. With certain scopes, they have bigger turret housings, so they might barely touch the base.

• Like 1

Regarding the DNZ, I like the idea of the double scope mount screws (4 screws per ring) Tactical model, but they are kind of hard to find...maybe not as popular. Is it necessary, or is the single screw design (2 screws per ring) more than adequate? It is going on a .270, so not much recoil.

All of my rings that I currently have are a minimum of 4/4 screws per ring. Some are 6/4 sets, some are 6/6 sets. Is it necessary? Not sure, especially on a heavy rifle with a brake. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

With that being said, I ran 2 screw Leupold rings for years torqued to spec and never had a scope slip, even over heavy hitters like a .300RUM.

I went with the DNZ medium height 20 moa. Pretty easy mounting. They claim it doesn't need lapping, but I did anyway. It appears it needed it. I had to slightly grind the rail end under the magnification ring for good clearance. I haven't shot it yet, so the jury is still out.

(Can't figure out how to flip this image with my tablet)

post-2983-0-97149900-1488259051_thumb.jpg

• Like 1