Sign in to follow this  
Viper

What is recommended rings/bases for Vortex Viper 44mm on Rem 700 LA?

I just aquired a Vortex Viper hs-t 4-16x44 with 30mm tube. I will mount it on a Rem 700 xcr .270. I hope to have hunting accuracy to 600 yrds and be able to target shoot out to 800. I may want to put flip up lens caps on. What is the recommended rings/bases? Low, med, tall? Do I need a 20 moa rail? I am new to these fancy turret scopes. I have done well with a ballistic reticle out to 400 yrds. I hope I don't have regrets....but this is the time of year to experiment.

Low rings for sure on a Picatinny base. You don't need 20MOA base for 800 yards, but might as well get one if you have one on other rifles. At least all of mine have them, because I always have to tinker, so swapping scopes around is quick and easy, and usually within a MIL or 2 when I swapped out scopes.

Pay attention to the actual measurements of each brand of ring you consider. What one manufacture calls low can be quite a bit different from another manufactures idea of low. I would put the rail on the gun and set the scope on the rail. Adjust the height of the scope with shims until it is at a comfortable height for you. Measure the thickness of the shims and you have a real good idea of what ring height you will like. I like my scopes as low as possible. For 700's with a picatinny rail and 30mm tubes I use rings that measure 0.285 to 0.295 from the base to the bottom of the tube. I have 3 700's with picatinny rails and 2 AR flattop uppers with YHM riser rails. That ring height works well for all of the scoped guns. Scopes can easily be swapped from gun to gun at will.

Thanks for the replies! I only have this one rifle for hunting and probably won't be tinkering. Once it's set up to my liking, it stays put. Will a 20 moa rail vs 0 moa rail change my cheek/eye position much?....(showing my ignorance)....or is it the ring height only.

The 20 MOA rail will elevate the rear of the scope slightly but I doubt you would notice much difference between it and a 0 MOA rail. 20 MOA would be 0.2 inches over 1 yard. By the time you get down to the length of a scope, about 1 foot, it is only 0.07 inches. Ring height is the bigger issue. I would go with the 20 MOA rail. If you ever want to shoot far enough that you really need it you will already have it.

One thing to add to 300RUM info on rings. Almost all rings are measured from top of rail to middle of rings (where top half of rings sits on bottom half of ring). So finding a .275" ring height is going to be hard. Most low rings will state a height of somewhere in the .800-.880" range for a 30mm tube depending on manufacturer. Don't skimp on the piece of metal that holds the optic to the rifle. I like Seekins Precision or Badger Ordinance myself.

Seekins lows are .820"

Badger lows are .823"

Vortex lows (made by Seekins) are .83"

• Like 1

Get a 20 moa rail or mount setup. I went with 0 on my 300 win mag, and today I shot it for the first time. I barely have enough adjustment to get to 1000 yards, maybe.

I bought the Talley lightweight ring/base that is a base and ring all in 1. They asked if I wanted 20 moa and like an idiot I said no.

Other than that flub on my part they are nice so far.

My scope is a Vortex HSLR with 50mm lens. It clears mediums with no problems.

Lancetkenyon has a good point about ring measurement. The manufacture will generally give a measurement from the top of the rail to the center point of the ring. Some retailers, like Midway, will use the top of rail to bottom of tube measurement because it is easier for the average person to understand. I have several sets of Nightforce low rings. If you look at the Nightforce sight the listed measurement is 0.885. If you look at the same ring on Midway they give a measurement of 0.295. It is the same ring being measured two different ways, pay attention to what dimension you are being given. No exotic super low rings here lance. I did specify a rail to bottom of tube measurement and I did buy them from Midway (the lawyer made me throw that in). Not mentioning the rail to center of ring measurement also was a definitely mistake on my part.

Here are a few examples for you to get a reference from. All of there are 34mm tube station, so take off about .10" for a 30mm tube scope. Meaning .82" to .90" heights. So a "Low" should easily clear a 44mm objective bell with caps.

Steiner T5Xi 5-25×56 w. 20MOA Picatinny base, Seekins "High" (1.0") rings over a Shilen #4 contour (just a tad heavier than a Rem Mag Sporter contour) I wish I would have gone Low on these rings.

20170202_174119_zps7peqt7aj.jpg

Kahles K624i 6-24×56 w. 20MOA Picatinny base, Seekins "Low" (.92") over a Bartlein "Sendero" contour.

20170202_173820_zpskvh7pgox.jpg

Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25×56 w. 20MOA Picatinny base, Seekins "Low" (.92") rings, over Bartlein #3 or 3B contour.

20170202_172926_zpsythz8t2z.jpg

Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27×56 w. 20MOA Picatinny base, Badger Ordinance "Max 50" "High" (1.0") over Rock Creek "Sendero" contour

20170202_172416_zpstvtd4vqd.jpg

Schmidt & Bender PMII 3-20×50 w. 20MOA Picatinny base, Badger Ordinance "Max 50" "High" (1.0) over Bartlein #3 contour (just a bit heavier than Rem Mag Sporter contour). I could have easily gone "Low" on these rings.

20170202_174514_zps60jdrzvp.jpg

• Like 1

Many models of rings are available in either steel or aluminum, something to keep in mind if you are concerned about weight.

You did not mention what kind of budget you have. Rings like Badger and Nightforce run around $170 per pair. When $170 rings were not in my budget I have bought a couple pairs of Valdada rings for $95. I am very happy with the quality for the price. I would go with the best you can afford.

When mounting the rings on the rail put the clamping nuts on the opposite side from the guns bolt. This way they will not be an additional obstacle when loading rounds into the gun.

So, is aluminum ok? I would think if you have steel rings, you would want a steel base to prevent damage to the softer base. Also, is the different expansion/contraction properties (CTE) of steel receiver vs aluminum base/rings worth considering? I do want to keep weight down, but how much weight difference is there between steel and Al?...ounces, right?

I would like to keep total cost under $150...preferably under $100. But I don't want a weak setup either. The options are mind boggling.

• Like 1