Took a fall turkey with a 218Bee and 45gr Sierra SP. Missed a head shot on another a different year with a reduced load from a 7 Rem Mag.

Something like a 22 Hornet or 223, would be good, as would a shotgun. Suspect a shotgun or bow may preserve more meat.

I like a 12ga. Rem 870 with a H.S. undertaker turkey choke with 3" #6's or Winchester #5's

Be careful using #6's at long ranges. If you plan to shoot beyond 35 yards, go to #5's or #4's or Hevishot as these shells have more impact and knock down power.

KP

For shotguns, I just bought a Mossberg (I think 810 or 835) 12 gauge, 26 inch barrell (longer one is 28) with the 3 1/2 inch chamber (also takes 3" and 2 3/4" size shells) and it came with the turkey choke which has the tightest restriction of about .40 plus - I cut/pasted bore restrictions below, not sure if they'll turn out. When I sighted it in, I was surprised that with the high end turkey load, like Federals with the good wad for long distance, I was getting a good shot grouping at 45-50 yards on a turkey head target, about 15-20 hitting spine and brains :o . A scope can be mounted, and was only about $400 and is synthetic stock, not fancy. Good luck.

12 Gauge

.000" -.001" cyl

.002" - .006" skeet

.007" -.013" imp cyl

.014" -.023" mod

.024" -.031" imp mod

.032" -.040" full

.040"+ xtra full (turkey)

Last Saturday, I killed my fall turkey with a Benelli nova, some kind of add-on turkey choke (I forget the manufacturer). Winchester 3 1/2" loads with 2 1/2 oz #5 shot.

40 yards, decent sized tom (16 lbs dressed out and plucked). What a rush! That bird went down fast!

awsome, congrats

Knock down don't mean nothin if you don't put a pellet in the head. A dense pattern is everything. I know that I know what I know. Don't ask me how I know. I just do. Know.

Mike