acharenio

Caliber preference

bullwidgeon says i'm 8 feet tall but really i'm so short that i can't drive a lifted truck without a rope ladder that comes out when ya open the door so i get jealous o' all these guys with the jacked up diesels. i even ride a shetland. i still have lotsa hair, but most of it is on my ears. and i really, really like a .300 mag. but it ain't unethical to shoot a coues with a .243. like some guy said it was. Lark.

so you expect me to back off because you say so? i own more .300's than you can count. have over 500 rounds loaded, right now. and i can shoot the heck out of em. 'bout wore my shoulder out a week ago with one that won't hit right. but i don't need one to shoot a coues deer. if you do, that's ok. probly makin' up for a lack of hair or height of some other deal that some guys can't deal with. but that's fine. don't let me sway you into doing something unethical, like using a .243. or any other gun that you don't like. so, how big o' lift do have on your truck anyway? Lark.

dang it, Lark!!!! :angry: You got me, there!! <_< I never could put my finger on why I fancy that ol' .300 Wby Mag..... but, now that you mention it.... I am starting to get Real thin on top of my head. :blink: :rolleyes: And as for my wife..... her excuse would have to be that 5" lift on her truck! :blink: ;) You better sell all those .300's you have or you might come up with a case of puss-itus, yourself pretty soon! ;)

And for all the .243 owners out there it is a good (and ethical) caliber, IMO...... However, I just don't like it..... ;) :P .... never have.

CnS

One time I shot a deer that was soooo far away...I pulled the trigger, packed up all my stuff, hiked back to the truck, drove for 10 minutes, stopped to take a leak, drove another 10 minutes, hikes two ridges over from the road, set up my 15's and tripod, and found the deer just in time to see the bullet smack him in the ribs.

And for all the .243 owners out there it is a good (and ethical) caliber, IMO...... However, I just don't like it..... ;) :P .... never have.

CnS

I was raised on a 243 my self, and I have killed plenty of animals with it. This is also a great gun to start the youngsters out on as well.

I cannot disagree with anything Lark has said on this thread. The .24 and .25 calibers are perfect for 100-pound animals.

Bill Quimby

Ditto....I cannot disagree with what Bill has said ;)

All these calibers mentioned in this thread suck. :ph34r:

Shoot a real man's weapon.

Archery all the way baby. ;)

:P :lol: :lol:

Actually I will be hunting muley's this weekend and I will be using the most trusted round out there.

The one and only 30.06 :P

You guys are all wrong the .243 and the .300"s are not good coues guns 270 wsm all the way. hopefully I will let you know first hand in a couple of weeks. Oh yea my GMC is better than your chevys and fords :P

Dang bryan, no wonder were going hunting together.... we both shoot 270wsms and drive GMC's :D

Now, when you can get your hands on some Leicas, we'll really be good to go!

got to put my eyes on some decent bucks tonight with the Leicas.

and Brian (azpackhorse) you call that a truck?!

Have used 260, 270, 280, 300. If someone just made a 290 to fill the gap :rolleyes:

Shots on coues have averaged 250 yards with 450 being the longest and 100 the shortest, so that 260 Remington could have covered the hunts with modest recoil in a light mountain rifle. It worked on a speedgoat at 385 once.

Now I have a 6.5 WSM, kinda like a 260 on growth hormones B)

Have used 260, 270, 280, 300. If someone just made a 290 to fill the gap :rolleyes:

Shots on coues have averaged 250 yards with 450 being the longest and 100 the shortest, so that 260 Remington could have covered the hunts with modest recoil in a light mountain rifle. It worked on a speedgoat at 385 once.

Now I have a 6.5 WSM, kinda like a 260 on growth hormones B)

So its like the barry bonds of the .264 caliber? Or the little brother of the 270 wsm :D

"and Brian (azpackhorse) you call that a truck?!"

I don't need a big truck to make up for a little................... besides I get 20+mpg

I love the .243, it's a great round and plenty enough for deer, it wouldn't be my first choice for anything bigger than Mule deer but theoretically could get the job done. It is a great round for Coues, my son whacked a Coues buck at 315 yards year before last and at 60 yards last year.............they was both just as dead as the bucks I whacked with my .300 win mag.