last weekend I was hunting in 23 and talked with g @ f they said laborday weekend a guy shot an 112 to 114 coues. stated it was taken spot and stock ((( next to a bunch of cabens )))) Any body know abuot this...

Now that's a crying shame! Take a unit where a deer is a rareity and somebody's got to go and kill what could be the very last buck.

If fact, that deer (if this story is true), probably walked in from another unit, because back when unit 23 had a couple o' deer in it - the bucks were dinky!

I feel real sorry for any poor soul that has a unit 23 tag!

Mike

I have no problem finding deer in unit 23. I know where quit a few excellent bucks are. My uncle and cousin both have 23 tags and they have already found several bucks that will score 100+. I would take a 23 tag anyday. With a little work plenty of good deer can be found.

Brian

BOULDERDASH!!!!!!

Mike

Come on Lark, you know there aren't any big whitetail bucks in unit 23!

And if there was a 24" coues buck in that sorry unit, I would need a highlighted map or GPS coordinates so's I could go there and prove it to myself.

In fact, I wouldn't mind... I mean I would need to see those hunerd classers too.

Seeing's believing.

Mike

triton,

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Pictures man, pictures. Don't tease us with monstrosity and then leave us hangin.

Josh "waiting for a picture" Epperson

bcoover,

Yep. I agree with you - 23 sucks. And I ended up with a rifle tag. Man, it's heck being liksdexic!

Mike

Josh, I had a guy call me and ask me if I wanted to mount a huge whitetail. He took a friend of a friend to his "spot" and the guy arrows a monster. Guy ended up taking it to Wildlife Creation's. The guy I know can't even get pictures even after showing someone where to shoot a toad. I will work on getting some and get back to you. I have had other people confirm the story about the size.

Jim

I'm just yankin' your chain bcoover. I put in for 23 on purpose and got drawn. Only the 2nd time in about 9 years. I know where I will hunt, and the only guarantee is that I will bust my butt - and love it.

I've kept a "23 sucks" theme going for a while just to cast doubts in the minds of people so that maybe I can get a tag every once in a while. I usually do this as a knee jerk reaction to posts that start advertising where I like to hunt.

Pretty doggone selfish aren't I?

There are a lot of very awesome units in this state for whitetail. 23 is only one of them, but man it's gettin hard to draw a Dec tag anymore. Last year I couldn't even draw a Nov unit 32 tag second choice and didn't get a tag at all!

I am a proponent of sharing all the information we can possibly share on this website - without shooting ourselves in the foot!

Don't ever tell anybody where that wide-racked buck lives (outside of maybe your dad or a brother) especially in cyberspace! That information should be shared on a need to know basis only, and nobody needs to know.

I hope you kill that big deer. I want to see the pics.

Have fun buddy,

Mike

Bcoover,

23 draw percentage was 19% last year. That means 81% of the folks didn't get drawn. That's usually where I end up. If it were 50% draw - a flip of a coin ain't good enough either. This is my second tag in 9 years. Missed opportunities last time (like monkeys playing football).

I'm gonna bust my hump on this hunt. Already have 8 gallons of water pre-hiked up on a big rock pile.

I'm glad you got your tag. It don't anger me that other people get the tag, it's just a wee bit dissapointing when I can't get one - or the back-up tag. And I know that a lot of folks can't get around too well 'cause of some condition or age. I'm gettin there. What tends to get under my skin is when "non-serious hunters" get a tag when they think they want one, and then let a long drive or a football game on TV or something else take priority and not even go.

Hope you do well, with the pics and the kill,

Mike

Hey bcoover, was that an archery elk hunt? I have one in 6 days.