Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Game and Fish Comment Periods

The problem is the homeowner start to feed the animals and they consider than pets and then you put an arrow in one of their pets and now you have a problem.

Except for its not their pet. It's a wild animal that they're probably not supposed to be feeding to begin with. While I can sympathize with a non hunter growing an appreciation for an animal they see every day and grow a bond with they should realize its a game animal and have realistic expectations of what could potentially happen to that animal.
Not that I disagree with you completely but in their eyes it's just the opposite. They don't care that you think you should be able to kill the animal. They think it's their community elk and they will name him and expect that Noone should be able to kill them. While I'm on your side you have to see their side as non hunters. I'm not sure who hunts a quarter mile from houses anyway but I'd imagine you could find some animals a little further away from a house. I personally wouldn't mind if the law passes either way. First because I think people that claim to be hunters should get out and hunt rather than hunt off the back porch. Second it would avoid some of these stories of people seeing their community animal in their backyard die and then start a petition to end all hunting because they now hate people that hunt.
I couldn't disagree with you more, for all of the reasons i mentioned above. Your response is emotional, and not scientific, nor does it take up for sportsmen in general. There are many states where you would have a hard time finding a place to hunt that is 1/4 mile from a house, so this sets a dangerous precedent.

Whats more, there are 2 conditions in AZ that provide good hunting. 1) deep in the woods, a long journey down a rough road or in the wilderness areas, and 2) behind houses, where thr rifle hunters haven't shot everything to pieces.

Please consider us blue collar guys who have limited time and resources to take off work, and have a hard time leaving the wife saddled with the kids for weeks on end while out fulfilling our hunting desires.

If a law such as this passes, i personally will have extremely limited opportunities to fill a tag. Which is especially difficult when i can glass critters from my front porch.

Please think of sportsmens rights in general, and not be critical over someone elses "easy" hunt.

Im not thinking emotionally at all. I'm simply giving you the facts that just because you feel one way doesn't mean the people that feed them have to just give into how you think. We aren't talking about other states we are talking about AZ that has more public land hunting than almost anywhere in the US. I'm a blue collar guy myself that puts in for hunts that are 1 hour- 8 hours away from my house and I've done just fine being able to hunt my whole life. I've never done a week long wilderness hunt but I have had to drive a couple hours to hunt for a day. That's just the way it is. You don't have to leave for days on end to have a successful hunt. There isn't a place in az that you can't drive one hour and be 1/4 mile from a house. I don't know your situation but if you literally can't get 1/4 mile from a house in az to hunt something you're not trying. While I agree it's easier to shoot the deer that gets fed by people every day I'm not sure how you get satisfaction from a hunt like that. You obviously don't enjoy trying to hunt a animals away from homes because it's too far and hard for you to get in your truck and drive a little ways. I'm simply saying that just because you claim it's ok to hunt within a quarter mile of a house because they are game animals and the people feeding them just have to deal with that is stupid. Putting a quarter mile barrier from houses to avoid people killing people's "pet deer" is perfectly fine in my eyes. Obviously it's not their deer but if we can avoid killing Bambi in their back yard I'm all for it. Instances where non hunters or people that don't really care either way see a deer dying with an arrow stuck in it isn't gonna help us hunters in any way. Just because you feel they should deal with it doesn't make you right. This isnt a law to hinder hunters or to single out specific types of hunters. It's a law to avoid confrontation with non hunters so they don't have ammo against us to end hunting in general. If you can't deal with that and not hunt in peoples back yards I would call that selfish and attitudes like that is what is going to cause hunters problems in the future.
  • Like 2

The other side if the spectrum. When a predator fimds the pot of gold they get 86'd i have an issue with that

It would seem the sportsman are in fact divided.

The biggest issue I have with it is the minority who doesn't even hunt whines and moans a bit and then laws are changed to control the majority. It's also a little aggravating when national forest areas are peppered with private homes. Case in point the East side of the huachucas. No it's not difficult to get past a quarter mile from a building but it's still annoying when people want nature in there back yard but don't want hunters.

• Like 1

If it takes affect they should enforce feeeding wildlife and make some revenue

Agreed!

I bet you the G&F get more complaints about animals eating flowers and gardens, harrassing or killing their pets, crapping on their lawn, etc than they get about bowhunters too close to their homes.

• Like 2

The problem is the homeowner start to feed the animals and they consider than pets and then you put an arrow in one of their pets and now you have a problem.

Except for its not their pet. It's a wild animal that they're probably not supposed to be feeding to begin with. While I can sympathize with a non hunter growing an appreciation for an animal they see every day and grow a bond with they should realize its a game animal and have realistic expectations of what could potentially happen to that animal.
Not that I disagree with you completely but in their eyes it's just the opposite. They don't care that you think you should be able to kill the animal. They think it's their community elk and they will name him and expect that Noone should be able to kill them. While I'm on your side you have to see their side as non hunters. I'm not sure who hunts a quarter mile from houses anyway but I'd imagine you could find some animals a little further away from a house. I personally wouldn't mind if the law passes either way. First because I think people that claim to be hunters should get out and hunt rather than hunt off the back porch. Second it would avoid some of these stories of people seeing their community animal in their backyard die and then start a petition to end all hunting because they now hate people that hunt.
I couldn't disagree with you more, for all of the reasons i mentioned above. Your response is emotional, and not scientific, nor does it take up for sportsmen in general. There are many states where you would have a hard time finding a place to hunt that is 1/4 mile from a house, so this sets a dangerous precedent.

Whats more, there are 2 conditions in AZ that provide good hunting. 1) deep in the woods, a long journey down a rough road or in the wilderness areas, and 2) behind houses, where thr rifle hunters haven't shot everything to pieces.

Please consider us blue collar guys who have limited time and resources to take off work, and have a hard time leaving the wife saddled with the kids for weeks on end while out fulfilling our hunting desires.

If a law such as this passes, i personally will have extremely limited opportunities to fill a tag. Which is especially difficult when i can glass critters from my front porch.

Please think of sportsmens rights in general, and not be critical over someone elses "easy" hunt.

Im not thinking emotionally at all. I'm simply giving you the facts that just because you feel one way doesn't mean the people that feed them have to just give into how you think. We aren't talking about other states we are talking about AZ that has more public land hunting than almost anywhere in the US. I'm a blue collar guy myself that puts in for hunts that are 1 hour- 8 hours away from my house and I've done just fine being able to hunt my whole life. I've never done a week long wilderness hunt but I have had to drive a couple hours to hunt for a day. That's just the way it is. You don't have to leave for days on end to have a successful hunt. There isn't a place in az that you can't drive one hour and be 1/4 mile from a house. I don't know your situation but if you literally can't get 1/4 mile from a house in az to hunt something you're not trying. While I agree it's easier to shoot the deer that gets fed by people every day I'm not sure how you get satisfaction from a hunt like that. You obviously don't enjoy trying to hunt a animals away from homes because it's too far and hard for you to get in your truck and drive a little ways. I'm simply saying that just because you claim it's ok to hunt within a quarter mile of a house because they are game animals and the people feeding them just have to deal with that is stupid. Putting a quarter mile barrier from houses to avoid people killing people's "pet deer" is perfectly fine in my eyes. Obviously it's not their deer but if we can avoid killing Bambi in their back yard I'm all for it. Instances where non hunters or people that don't really care either way see a deer dying with an arrow stuck in it isn't gonna help us hunters in any way. Just because you feel they should deal with it doesn't make you right. This isnt a law to hinder hunters or to single out specific types of hunters. It's a law to avoid confrontation with non hunters so they don't have ammo against us to end hunting in general. If you can't deal with that and not hunt in peoples back yards I would call that selfish and attitudes like that is what is going to cause hunters problems in the future.

once again, i couldn't disagree more.

this is a law that would single out types of hunters, youths, beginners, and weekend warriors for starters; and the after work archery crowd as well. I would say, most of the hunters that i know hunt with 1/4 of houses. Most!

That said, i'll call you out. I don't hunt "pet" deer. It's wild, bro. I'll pay you $100 cash if you can kill at least a 3 pt. whitetail behind my house this august/september. I'll show you the spot, the spring, the tree, everything. A major guide killed a 134" in there recently. If you think you're gonna waltz in there and kill a pet deer, you are sadly mistaken. You won't kill a deer, because you're not good enough. Urban deer are super pressured, and extremely hard to kill. You don't have it. You have a false notion about hunting urban deer. But if you can, i'll pay you $100. But you have to kill it within 1/4 mile of the subdivision, or it doesn't count.

Dudes who kill stud whitetail bucks every year are stud hunters, period. You can say "pet deer" till you're blue in the face, but mature, urban deer are the hardest of all. They have you patterned.

What's more, I get satisfaction out of putting meat on the table, I don't care about your judgment of where i hunt.

What's more, I led some hunters into the local wilderness area, and we killed a nice 6x6 this fall. I drew, but didn't have a good shot angle, so i passed on the one shot i had. It was a 2 day pack out on foot for that bull. I can go in deep, and still hunt and kill. This was thanksgiving weekend, so it was easier to skip work. I'm a hunter's hunter.

What's more, you need to support sportsmen. You might say, well, i don't hunt there, so it doesn't effect me. Well, one day it will effect you. One day they will close the national forrest to hunting altogether, and you'll know how it feels. Don't lay down on this one, because you think you're better.

What's more, we need urban hunts, it's simply good management and good biology, it's not emotional, it's numbers.

What's more, we need to be responsible, but hunt with a voice, and if that means that a hiker sees a dead deer, or a homeowner, than so be it. About 20 years ago, major sporting networks stopped showing shot impacts on TV, so the general public wouldn't be offended, and would take a more sympathetic view of hunting. It was foolishness. I'm not gonna pretend like when i hunt i don't get bloody. The general public could use some blood, sweat, and tears. I'm not gonna cater to their softness. Instead, I will lead on the opposite direction.

• Like 2

I don't know about the urban deer, but there is a herd of urban pigs I chase each December and they are the most skittish animals I have ever seen. You can't get within 100 yards of them. They run at the slightest sound. They might be used to living around humans, but they are super scared of them.

Hunter's , we just bad people. But hay don't hunt them within a quarter mile, just poison them like a resident did in chaparral pines a few years back. And what's the deal with hunting within 1/4 mile of a camera, just take it down the day before the hunt oh and I find it funny when they say hunting is slowing going away because there are no new hunters but this year there is a 10% increase.

With the lack of consideration and common sence we end up with more rules Just because its legal doesnt make all things right Consideration towards the non hunting community and fellow hunters is dwindling seems afew of hunters are looking for conflict or controversy

• Like 1

So basically kill one big buck road hunting on a typical road hunting road and now you know it all.... Crazy I guess I know it all too since I have 200" buck as well ..... Yup real hunters only travels 100s of miles for trophy's if not your not a hunter lol

• Like 1

WHATS MORE, I got deer in my back yard I'm planning on hunting in a year or two, and no one else is invited! These Damg deer are eating the corn and apple I put out for my dogs.

Deer will tear up some Ol' Roy dog food. Its 70% corn.