Coues Sniper

WHy you should always see both sides first

Well, this is why you should always see both sides before you shoot… We were chasing some bugles in some really thick stuff again in an area we knew held an absolute slob of a bull, and we had one last bugle we could check out before they quit for the morning. We weren’t calling at all, just following bulls that were making noise. Well, we got about 70-80 yards from the bull when we jumped a couple cows we didn’t know were there. We immediately hit the cow call as they ran in the general direction of the bull. This definitely got the bull’s attention, and he started to come right towards us. However, it also got the attention of a couple other cows directly to our right, and they started to come in towards us too. We could see the cows, but not the bull who was now screaming his head off at us. The cows held up at about 10 yards but couldn’t figure out what we were while the bull was still making his way around one last cedar. He stepped out still screaming his head off, but all I could see was part of his tops on the good side as there was still some brush between us. I could tell that it wasn’t the giant we were looking for but from what I could see he had potential to be a heck of a bull. However my buddy starting freaking out telling me to shoot and he had a much better look than I did. His flailing about sent the cows to our right (which were almost in our laps at this point) into a panic for the next county which of course spooked the bull and he started to turn to leave. My buddy hit the cow call again and the bull paused and it was a now or never kind of thing so I took the only shot I had through a hole in the brush at 30 yards. My buddy was shocked when we walked up on the bull. He obviously never saw the other side when he told me to shoot. I think the bad side was injured while in velvet as it has a big knot below his third and that’s where he gets small. If he would have matched he would have been in the 370’s, but only goes in the 320’s as is. But that’s hunting I guess, and he’s still a great bull with tons of character. Love that palmation. He was an ancient bull as well; I don’t think I’ve ever seen ivories that were as worn as his, (as you can see they were flush with his gums!), he was big bodied but his hind quarters were tiny and his teeth were pretty much nonexistent. Hope all of your hunts go well…

Kevin

kKearnyElk00142.jpg

IMG_09532.jpg

Kevin,

Congratulations. I would be proud to put my tag on an ancient one like that. Plus as a bonus, you can rag on your friend's great guiding ability for years to come.

Bob

congrats, still a great bull, awsome character, if i could land a tag id shoot a bull like that

Kevin,

Congratulations. I would be proud to put my tag on an ancient one like that. Plus as a bonus, you can rag on your friend's great guiding ability for years to come.

Bob

Thanks Bob. And dang right, I plan on getting alot of mileage out of that call! :lol:

Super bull - even with the other side. The palmation is fantastic...mass with curves. Nice!

Always tough in the thick stuff to shoot or not to shoot? I say shoot :D

AZP&Y

Congrats!!! I'm a sucker for character....I would have shot em'! ;) Great bull! JIM>

There always seems to be too much emphasis put on aantler size and score. DId you have agood time and are you going away from the hunt with some good memories are the most important parts of the hunt.

There always seems to be too much emphasis put on aantler size and score. DId you have agood time and are you going away from the hunt with some good memories are the most important parts of the hunt.

You're right bmf. I had an awesome time on this hunt with some great friends. I honestly wouldn't change a thing about the hunt even if I could.

Congrats!!! I'm a sucker for character....I would have shot em'! ;) Great bull! JIM>

Super bull - even with the other side. The palmation is fantastic...mass with curves. Nice!

Always tough in the thick stuff to shoot or not to shoot? I say shoot :D

AZP&Y

Thanks guys! I had the skull boiled out by Chris Williams of Trappers Den up there by Pinetop, and it looks great. He does super work. I'll try and post some pics of it.

Right on.

Great bull and I sure would have smoked him given the chance.

Hey HC,

I met you in on you archery hunt, did your wife ever tip that buck over?

ER

Right on.

Great bull and I sure would have smoked him given the chance.

Hey HC,

I met you in on you archery hunt, did your wife ever tip that buck over?

ER

Negative. But hopefully in Jan. :rolleyes: