lancetkenyon

Project "Long Range Loaner" Load Development

This thread has laid in obscurity for a while. I worked up a pretty darn good load with some 168 SMKs to start with. I decided to keep the 6-24 Burris Black Diamond on it for now.

20170422_135050_zpsa9mjzc5i.jpg

This is a factory loaded round that came with the rifle that I pulled apart.

20170422_135043_zpsujxtrdzf.jpg

This is a fired brass that came with the gun.

20170422_135147_zpsiqyfuxlf.jpg

The fired factory brass showed a sign of pressure with an ejector mark.

20170423_065111_zps6jtkj7zp.jpg

Factory fired brass was at max length

20170423_071101_zpsz2cemuhq.jpg

So I trimmed all to .010" below max length

20170423_071115_zpsxj3kaayh.jpg

Sized, cleaned, trimmed, chamfered, primer pockets uniformed, and annealed, ready to load.

20170423_085813_zpsw0vezmux.jpg

20170423_085839_zps95ilni4x.jpg

I have a ladder test loaded up with some RL23 & 175 ELD-X and ready to go shoot once I get caught up on some other reloading stuff I have going on.

• Like 2

If its a loaner why not something with a No Fault Warranty? Just curious.

Hey Lance, can I be the first on the list to borrow it? I have a feeling it will shoot as well as either of my customs when you are finished. :)

Why not put your steiner on it?

Because this is a rifle for some friends and family that have a hunt I can't go on. And I don't want to loan out a $2000 scope if I am not there to babysit it. I don't mind family and friends using one of my rifles if I am with them on the hunt....because I am there to oversee it's wellbeing.

This thread has sat in limbo for too long. I pretty much finished load development just in time for late elk season in a couple weeks. It will probably tag along, but might not get carried in the field. A back up to my back up to my back up to everyone else's elk rifles. Also taking my .300RUM, 7RM, and .280AI.

I have 2 "good enough" loads. I might have time to squeak in seating depth testing still, but not positive.

As is sits, I did swap an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 onto it. For the price, these are decent scopes. I have not tried a tracking test on it yet, but sighting it in at 200 showed the tracking fit the bill. Glass is pretty good, ergonomics are fine. Reticle is a good one, but just a touch thick for my tastes. It will be great for a hunting rifle, but it covers up some of those 1/4" dots at 200 yards.

I have 2 loads that are both pretty good, just need to see how many bullets I have left out of each box to see what I load up. I think I have 64 pieces of brass, so might have enough left with either bullet.

178 ELD-X @ 2961 into .7" @ 100, 1.3" @ 200

190 Berger HVLD @ 2938 into .8" @ 100, 1.4" @ 200.

I am glad I don't have to shoot it. That thing kicks like a mule. I think the rifle weighs about 8-8.5#, and no brake. But I am not dumping more money into it.

• Like 1

This thread has sat in limbo for too long. I pretty much finished load development just in time for late elk season in a couple weeks. It will probably tag along, but might not get carried in the field. A back up to my back up to my back up to everyone else's elk rifles. Also taking my .300RUM, 7RM, and .280AI.

I have 2 "good enough" loads. I might have time to squeak in seating depth testing still, but not positive.

As is sits, I did swap an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 onto it. For the price, these are decent scopes. I have not tried a tracking test on it yet, but sighting it in at 200 showed the tracking fit the bill. Glass is pretty good, ergonomics are fine. Reticle is a good one, but just a touch thick for my tastes. It will be great for a hunting rifle, but it covers up some of those 1/4" dots at 200 yards.

I have 2 loads that are both pretty good, just need to see how many bullets I have left out of each box to see what I load up. I think I have 64 pieces of brass, so might have enough left with either bullet.

178 ELD-X @ 2961 into .7" @ 100, 1.3" @ 200

190 Berger HVLD @ 2938 into .8" @ 100, 1.4" @ 200.

I am glad I don't have to shoot it. That thing kicks like a mule. I think the rifle weighs about 8-8.5#, and no brake. But I am not dumping more money into it.

Even the New BTRs still are little thick reticles? I was thinking about switching my old Cronus for the new BTR. Thats my only complaint about the scope, but for the price its great