Sign in to follow this  
Atypical

Opening Day Success

After missing a 400 yard downhill shot last year, I got pissed off enough to improve my gear and practice more. I bought the Leopold scope with the B&C BDC (after getting critiques and advice from this CWT forum – thanks) and practiced at the range and in the desert for 300, 400, and 500 yard shots with a home made target. I found the Remington Bronze Tip bullet shot better than the Hornady Ultra Mag’s w/my 30.06 (again, with more advice on ballistics from this forum, thanks). Here’s the story for those interested in a lengthy read.

Pops and I had seen about 10 does from the am to mid afternoon, but no bucks. I moved a mile east and was glassing atop a knoll around 3p when I saw two 4x4's walking from the top of a little hill down into a wash, ranged at 392 yards, east of me to bed. Even without the glasses I could see their racks glistening in the sun with naked eye. The bigger one laid down finding shade from two big Spanish Sword Yucca’s, still within sight, while the smaller one went out of sight 30 more yards down into the cool wash. I tried pictures through my swaro 15’s but they did not turn out. I was going to go prone and shoot on my bag at 400 yards but vitals were obstructed, there were too many ocotillo's in front of me and also in front of the bedded deer to shoot. So I had to move into a better shot, I walked east, the wind was north at about ~8-10mph. I closed the gap to about 225 gingerly sneaking through the cat claws, up and down washes, concerned for the deer I could not see to bust me. I was in position 90 minutes later with decent shooting lanes. I then found the head and rack of the other deer lower in the wash also in yucca shade. I sat it out, switching between my rifle scope on the Stoney Point sticks, and Leopold 10x’s watching for the big one to present a shot, confidence high from practicing and surprisingly calm.

The small one got up, walked over near the bigger one and gave me a broadside shot, 225 over a ravine with a slight incline and the small wind. I decided to pass on the shot and wait out the bigger one, hoping he'd present a similar broadside shot, still or slowly walking. The smaller one then trotted back up the hill in which they came, showing nervousness by returning on their same safe trail. He may have smelled me. The big one then got up and trotted up the hill following the other one. I whistled and he slowed down, I took the shot, fast walking, quartering away, 225 yards, ~8mph wind and slight incline. Hit him, he jumped in the air and then ran crippled but capable straight up the hill, zig zagging around scrub. I shot two more times while he was running up hill and missed both. He then stopped at the top of the hill and sky lined, hopefully hurt and dazed. I wanted some insurance. Now about 275 yards quartering away in the ocotillos and a greater incline I shot again using the 300 pin to allow for the incline and it looked like he either dropped in his tracks or bolted over the skyline. I found him right there so he dropped. Whew. The two shots hit him around the same spot, entering about 6 inches behind the lungs on the right rear quarter side and just exploding out the left side taking guts and rear lung in a volley ball sized hole. I realized my mistake; I did not adjust for the wind which was why my shots were to the left about 6 inches from where I was aiming. Can’t believe I forgot about that. The rack was smaller than expected, still had some velvet, taxidermy’s guess is mid eighties, and a great gift. My eighth deer and finally a typical rack – all others are atypical – story of my life, lol. Only thing missing was AZP&Y, where you at?!

Best of luck to everyone else and appreciate the talk and support of this forum. Cheers, Mike.

post-1212-1193678599_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1193678632_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1193678801_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1193678833_thumb.jpg

Nice buck and great job on telling the story to make us feel like we were there with you. Congrats.

Phil

Good to see that the new scope helped out on your hunt. Congrats on a great looking deer and there is nothing wrong with shooting nontypicals.

Great buck and story. FYI, a 8-10 MPH wind will typically only give you about a 1 1/2 inch push at 250yds. Probably off from the deers movement. If you hadn't practiced so much, you probably would have been of much more. Nice to have hard work pay off!

nice buck! i love that first pic. it reminds me of when i first walk up on deer after i shoot it. total excitement!

Only thing missing was AZP&Y, where you at

HA HA ! - Good ONE! :P

So I went quality over quantity, looks like a got a bonus point instead!

Great Coues buck for sure! Thanks for text message from the DMZ, I was all pumped up for you, after last year we worked hard during the Dec hunt only to come up empty handed but with another great year of hunt stories and a chance to become better coues hunters! GREAT JOB - MR> TYPICAL !

I was busy chasing these guys on Friday morning- would have loved to been on the radio and heard the shots ring out followed by "nice buck down" - There's always Jan 08!

I say mine scored at least mid 90's? :lol: :lol: :lol:

AzP&Y

Doug

post-898-1193715354_thumb.jpg