Rock30golf

Winchester model 70 30-06 1954

So I have come across a winchester model 70 30-06 made in 1954, the rifle looks to be in good condition but the stock is broke in half. My question is, What is the rifle worth with the broken stock. Is it worth putting a new stock on it?

Typically those pre 64 actions are heavy compared to the actions that are made today. I've seen just the barreled actions go for 600.00+, depends on what you want to do with it, if its for an investment an aftermarket stock or a cracked stock is probably going to bring the value down. If it's for a hunting rifle and you want to go with a pre 64, go on ahead.

• Like 1

Doesn't look like the factory stock anyways. I woukd think around $500 give or take $100 i guess. The scope on it adds no value

Doesn't look like the factory stock anyways. I woukd think around $500 give or take $100 i guess. The scope on it adds no value

^^^^^^^^ This

Why not keep it as a donor action? Also, not to hijack the thread, but can we see picks of your .264 Win mag Greyghost?

I would start at 400.00 and go from there depending on how bad you want it. There are post 64 Winchesters that will shoot as good as the pre 64's. I had a Featherweight in .308 that I picked up around 1986 that shot lights out, and I have a current sporter in .270, that after I had rebedded that is a shooter.

^^^^^^^^ This

Why not keep it as a donor action? Also, not to hijack the thread, but can we see picks of your .264 Win mag Greyghost?

I'm about done with load development. As soon as it's finished i'll post a short write up with some photos

At one time USMC snipers carried pre 64 model 70s in 30-06. Carlos Hathcock carried one. When Winchester made changes to the model 70 after 64 the Marines switch to the Remington 700.