Kilimanjaro

huntin' prairie dinosaurs...

Sometimes when you're out west, you can hear the past talking to you in the wind blowing across the lonely lands...

07sagegrouse011.jpg

...but once out in among it, you find that it's not quite as lonely as it first appears to the eyes... they're in there if ya find the right places and have a good partner to hunt behind..

07sagegrouse013.jpg

...and that partner of yours can also improve your time out on these big sky plains by giving you a helping hand every now and again.. Lord knows they're heavy!!

07sagegrouse012.jpg

and once brought to hand, you too can marvel at these prehistoric relics you've come all this way to find.. You'll soon realize that they are well worth the miles driven, and the long wind blown miles walked...They truely are special.

07sagegrouse017.jpg

07sagegrouse014.jpg

07sagegrouse026.jpg

....once you've made it back to the truck, take a second to really look over and feel these western throwbacks you've had the privlage to hunt.. you'll never look at the vast expanses of the great American west the same again... You too will then realize there's more than just gold out there in them 'thar hills!!

07sagegrouse007.jpg

07sagegrouse015.jpg

...and if ya make it back to the grassland country with enough light left, and if you still have a tidge of luck on your side, you can see if you can find his grass loving cousin..

We did!! :D

07sagegrouse002.jpg

07sagegrouse001.jpg

we spent the last few days up here in Montana chasin' Sage Bombers, Sharpies, Huns, and even a few big, gaudy Roosters..

Dude, you look really happy up there! in MT You're starting to sound poetic and your photos are showing artistic flair too!

Too much country to explore and hunt ... Too much time on your hands in wide open spaces.... NAW never can have too much time out there...

Thanks for sending us some cheer!

Way to go Scotty! Fantastic photos....I knew it wouldn't be long before we'd get some pics of you with your bird vest full! Congrats! JIM>

Nice to see your getting settled in up there! Way to go Scotty!

Scotty,

The birds are nice and all, but what is that enormous antler in the one picture? Looks like a mighty nice whitetail to me but hard to tell!

It's good to see you've adjusted well.

Kevin

Nobody knows how to embrace the local 'fare' like you Scott!!!! Cool that you're jumping right in and taking advantage before the deep freeze sets in..... ;) Thanks much for sharing!

S.

:)

Thanks guys!! Sage grouse are one bird that I have been DYING to learn about and hunt.. they are the most unique species I've had the opportunity to hunt thus far..

Kevin,

that is a WT skull that I found while we were hunting.. I figured it was gonna be a muley based on where we were, but it seems that ol' Mr. WT can scratch out a living just about anywhere..

Its about a 130 class buck.. I've had pretty good luck with the skulls this year!! Its the 4th one I've found!

Those are some big birds! Great dog you got there! Artistic flair in deed! ;)

Great trip report Scottyboy! Sage grouse are really cool birds. A friend of mine got her PhD studying them in CO. Gorgeous birds. Thanks for all the pics and congrats on another great bird hunt for you!

Amanda