Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

5BS- First scout

Wow.

There was some really awesome country up there. Now that I'm like an hour away from that, I think this will turn into one of my favorite units.

Really the first time in the area. Had to turn back to the I-17 because of the fire, but we got a feel for the area. Spent some time in Kinnicikick Lake and that place was great! (Yeah, the trout were biting but I didn't have green powerbait so not for us)

I must have seen 30+ elk. Most of them on the side of the roads- and they're not shy. I'm sure they're used to all the traffic.

I didn't have a lot of time to put the boots to work, but I'm looking forward to just an overall 2-3 day area camp next weekend to get a better feel for it.

Really a fantastic unit.

• Like 4

Some friendly advice: Don't drive on the 82 Road between Kinnikinnick and Long Lake unless you have an ATV/UTV. Especially if it's raining. That mud up on Anderson Mesa turns into slop that's slicker than snot on a doorknob. Don't ask me how I know!

Unless you enjoy "teeth jarring, frame twisting, oil pan slamming on rocks and head slamming on the roof" type driving! :)

That road is brutal. By far the worst I've encountered in all my adventures.

Good luck on your scouting.

• Like 9

+1 on the 82, it's a nasty little road, I drove it from long lake northbound, and I was in to deep to turn around and doubleback, I though the front end of my jeep was going to fall off. On my map it showed is was a maintained good road, what a lie! That road is dreadful lol

• Like 2

That road sounds nasty.

I might even try it- once- when I don't have to be anywhere quick and if it's dry out. Rebuilding the Yukon- might be a good test.

If you go to scout more in unit 7E (which I know you are going to) stay off of road 419. It isn't worth the effort unless you are in a SxS or quad or something with good suspension and a decent driver.

Some friendly advice: Don't drive on the 82 Road between Kinnikinnick and Long Lake unless you have an ATV/UTV. Especially if it's raining. That mud up on Anderson Mesa turns into slop that's slicker than snot on a doorknob. Don't ask me how I know!

Unless you enjoy "teeth jarring, frame twisting, oil pan slamming on rocks and head slamming on the roof" type driving! :)

That road is brutal. By far the worst I've encountered in all my adventures.

Good luck on your scouting.

^^^ TRUTH! lol

If you go to scout more in unit 7E (which I know you are going to) stay off of road 419. It isn't worth the effort unless you are in a SxS or quad or something with good suspension and a decent driver.

I should just move to Flag for the last 6 months of the year! I can't wait to get started!

But with 7E, anything before Nov wont matter so much..

Wow.

There was some really awesome country up there. Now that I'm like an hour away from that, I think this will turn into one of my favorite units.

Really the first time in the area. Had to turn back to the I-17 because of the fire, but we got a feel for the area. Spent some time in Kinnicikick Lake and that place was great! (Yeah, the trout were biting but I didn't have green powerbait so not for us)

I must have seen 30+ elk. Most of them on the side of the roads- and they're not shy. I'm sure they're used to all the traffic.

I didn't have a lot of time to put the boots to work, but I'm looking forward to just an overall 2-3 day area camp next weekend to get a better feel for it.

Really a fantastic unit.

This whole unit is full of elk .... there aren't too many bad spots. I am betting you fill the tag