Sign in to follow this  
Blakehanley

Long Range Hunting

From a perspective of a archery hunter I am curious is it just as exciting to shoot an animal at 100yards 200yards 300yards and so on. I have been watching a lot of rifle hunting videos lately and people are killing animals at 600+ yards it just doesn't seem like it would be all that exciting that far away. This is not an ethics question as I am sure these people practice and are proficient at these ranges. Just more about does it feel the same that far away as opposed to closer say 100 yards and under?

I hunt both archery and long range rifle and enjoy both. As an archery hunter I really enjoy the challenge of stalking within 50 yards, or less, to make my shot. I like to stay pretty mobile. I do not use tree stands but will occasionally build a blind from materials on hand. As a long range rifle hunter I tend to climb to a very good vantage point then sit and watch. Kind of like being in a tree stand with an excellent view for 1/2 mile. It takes lots of preparation and practice to be able to make long shots. It is very satisfying when I make the shot and harvest my animal. However, for me, this does not have the same thrill that a successful archery stalk does. I think for me the most excitement comes from the incredible challenge of closing in on the animal, at close range, to make the shot.

• Like 1

When I have been apart of kills at 500+, the intensity level is different. That killer instinct never really sets in. The fun is in the calculation and the focus on the detail of the shot.

• Like 3

I both archery hunt and long range hunt. They both require a particular skill set that take a lot of time to master. When the particular skill set you have spent so much time mastering comes to fruition with a clean kill, the thrill is there and equivalent.

• Like 3

Guest oneshot

I shoot a recurve and my distance is about 30yds, using tree-stands/brush-blinds... I like to set-up during rifle kinda the same way, ID an area that deer will travel through, find an overwatch about 200-300yds away and set tight...

I feel there is a point when it becomes more of a "shooting game" vs a 'Hunting game" when folks intentionaly push out to longer distances...

The whole point of Hunting, to me, is to get as close as possible, within reason (have had Bucks too close to even draw my Bow), to whatever critter I'm Hunting...

To each their own, and what makes it exciting to them! To say your way is better is silly!! Because everyone prefers something different which is okay! Bow hunting is fun because you get close to nature and less pressure on animals. Rifle hunting is fun because you take longer shots and probably have more opportunity to harvest an animal. But to say shooting long range takes all the fun out of it, truly whats the difference of shooting at 100 yards and 300 yards.? Farther than that it takes alot of practice and understanding how your rifle works and understanding wind and your drop. Ive been shooting all year and developing a perfect load for my rifle, to me that is part of hunting! No different than shooting your bow and becoming "ONE WITH THE BOW". I say if you enjoy what you do with hunting and its ethical and legal do it!!!

• Like 4

Thanks all for the responses this was the first year I put in for a rifle hunt... didn't get drawn just wondering how it would differ and if I would enjoy it as much. I guess the only way to find out is too try it.

One person's definition of "long range" is a chip shot to others. I have several rifles extremely capable of making "long range" shots out to 1K or more. I practice and shoot almost every weekend. A few thousand rounds a year from 10 to 1300+. Shotgunning, to .22s, to an AR, to high powered rifles. From a bench, prone, sitting, etc. Rarely do I shoot off hand other than hunting situations, and even then, if I have a chance at a tree branch/trunk/fence post, I will most assuredly use it. From fast flying doves, to quail, to jacks and cottontails, squirrels, and on occasion, big game if I get lucky. I also bow hunt.

I work on loads all year long. Fine tuning, tweaking, experimenting, all in the quest for the absolute most I can wring out of my rifles. That extra .005" is an addiction.

With all of that being said, besides a few coyotes at 320 & 1327 yards, my one long big game shot was 488 yards. Everything else has been under 160 yards. But I am always preparing for the long shot if the need ever arises.

• Like 8