Sign in to follow this  
bullwidgeon

More bull

My dad and uncle had elk tags for this weekend. My dad got this one yesterday and my uncle got a neat little 6x7 Saturday. I don't have any pictures of my uncles bull as I was not in on the kill (or the packout :D ). Neither of them are much into trophy hunting especially after passing on bulls the first day or two. It drives them nuts to know all those elk burros are walking away from them still on the hoof when they could be in the freezer, but I think I would have held out a little longer (In fact I did 2 weeks ago and it payed off ) These bulls were bugling and chasing cows better than they were on my hunt. We glassed this bull up across a big canyon with a little raghorn and 5 or 6 cows. We watched where they bedded. We snuck in over the top, I glassed up the cows bedded at 230 yards across a draw and below us. Eventually one of them winded us and jumped up and started looking for us, she could not see us but knew something was wrong she started to top out, most of the other cows were still snoozing. Then finally, the bull came up out of the bottom, I cow called and he stopped about midway up the ridge and then my dad started shooting his 7mag with 150 grain Scirroccos. After a few shots the bull fell and starting cartwheeling down the ridge, taking out pinons and junipers along the way. I would like to say that the perfect first shoulder shot flopped the bull right there but that was not the case. The thing was going like the terminator with multiple holes in his lung and lower heart. I can not beleive how these things can go with terminal damage done to them. Anyways, I had never seen a bull cartwheel, roll, flip, get back up try to run and slide down a mountain before. It was neat to say the least :lol: , except he broke a few inches of his right horn in the skirmish(:lol: That means mine is still bigger :lol:). Anyways he eventually snagged up in a juniper stump and gave up. Good luck to anyone who still has tags

limop.jpg

Bret M.

Way to go bret, And congrats to your dad and uncle to. Most of all thank you for the pictures and the story. I have seen some great bulls taken this year so far. Yours just add to the list. Thanks again.

Jade.

Guest Ernesto C

Bret way to go buddy,two thumbs way up for you and your uncles!! congratulations and thanks for a great story and pictures.

God bless you more and specially while hunting :lol:

Ernesto C.

You guys are gonna have to open your own butcher shop now! :lol: You have all been truly blessed. You should be very proud of all your hard work!! :lol:

:lol:

bullwidgeon been out cullin' the desert herd again. good. shoot all them stinkin' desert elk so the deer will come back. nice bull, for a computer geek. probly was a cow or a spike before widge imaged some antlers on to it. all kiddin' aside, that's a good bull. real uniform and clean. we got one this weekend that'd been livin' in the forest fire up on the mt. sucker was black all over. antlers looked spray painted. tell your dad congratulations. Lark.

285-295, he might even go 300 depending on the mass. I just took general length measurements of the g1, g4 and beam, but he should go around there. That picture makes him look really good, maybe even a little better than he is :lol: .

Just wait until December when the 72 inch coues deer I kill looks like an honest 105-110, I love camera angles :lol:

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

Congrats on your success on the elk, and good luck with the rest of the year.