Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

Coues Scouting

Being in the middle of scouting for the coues October rifle hunt, I got to wondering. Would you rather hunt an area that is only a mile/mile and a half from a road, but you can scout it almost every weekend for a quick morning or evening run? Or an area that's 4 or 5 miles in the backcountry but you can maybe scout it 2 weekends due to the time it takes to get back there. My wife is much more tolerant of Saturday morning trips than Friday night, Saturday, sunday overnight trips.

There will be plenty of deer close to the roads. But probably a better quality hunt farther in away from people who are thinking the same thing you are

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Using other hunters to push game towards you is a time honored way to fill a tag, even if the other hunters don't know they are giving you a 'free' deer drive...

High numbers of deer tags, with the added amount of "helpers", make over-watching excape routes prime stand sites...

Those 'remote" pockets you scouted so carefully change once all the traffic of deer season starts, so it makes sense to use those other hunters...

I like both and just depends on what's going on and how much time I have. Killed my nicest buck last Jan at a spot I can hunt on a quick morning run from the house.

4 or 5 miles hands down. I usually pass 4 or 5 tripods on my way in and then there's no one after that. Haha

if Cactus Jack left a tripod breadcrumb trail and you've only passed 4 or 5 you wouldn't even be close to getting to him.
  • Like 1